If you baby had to be on Nutramigen or Alimentum, what did they go to next?

Were they ever able to handle milk and other dairy products? My DD's pediatrician says it's rare for a child not to eventually get to drink and eat dairy as they get older. Mine will be one year soon and he said we'll start with a little Similac Advance right now and see how it goes since she is doing well with Alimentum. Bascially he said that one year is very different from two months, when she was diagnosed with her protein allergy, and that we need to just try the products slowly and see.

Just to head off the inevitable BF or cow's milk is not for babies responses I've been seeing in other posts, I'm not at all interested in any of those ideas or theories.

If your little one has been through this, I'd really appreciate any advice or stories you'd be willing to share.

wildflowers25

Asked by wildflowers25 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was on nutramigen after similac upset her tummy, I brf and formulafed her. So you won't get any knocks from me.
    We kept her off of cow's milk until she was about a year old then she went on lactose free milk for a year and then on to no fat milk also known as skim milk.

One of my older kids had colic from cow's milk when she was a baby - so when my youngest had tummy troubles we checked what I was eating going into my breastmilk in addition to considering my youngest's formula affecting her too. That's when we left smilac and switched to nutramigen and so on.

Hope baby feels better longterm soon!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My ds was on Nutramigen and from there we did like lfl and went to the Lactose free and then gradually moved up to fat free milk.
    He is 10 yrs old now, but to this day, any kind of heavy dairy, like ice cream or alot of cheese will still upset his tummy.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 1:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• my niece was on alimentum and she is now on whole milk. she is 5 now
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• 2 of my kids were on the soy based similac and 1 was on alimentum for bad reflux and an allergy they could never pin point. When they hit a year I started them on lactose free milk and they handled that fine. A couple months later I tried them on plain soy milk and they handled that fine too. A couple months after that I tried them on whole milk and they were fine. I could have tried whole milk first but didn't want to chance it, so that's why I started with the lactose free. It's trial and error until you find out what agrees with them.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 4:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2010