Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOw do I find out if I made a mistake or the IRS did?

My refund was deposited in my bank account this morning and it's almost double what I had it figured out to be. I wonder if my math was wrong or if it's a mistake on their end. Anyone know who I could contact to find out?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • I would have atax person take a look at your paperwork hon

    Answer by sati769leigh at 12:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

  • They have up to 3 years to find their mistake so you might wanna check before you go spending!!! It would be nice if you get to keep it!! GL

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

  • I'd take that overage and put it in a separate checking account in the same bank and not hold a checkbook or checkcard on it in case it is wrong somehow.

    Just good the i r s and there are numbers to call with questions. I can tell you that compared to years ago now the i r s is like the easter bunny. If they tell you it's overage do the separate account, if it's correct still save it since you weren't expecting it.
    Maybe you had more taken out each month for taxes than you wrote down.

    first responder thought is good too, sorry I forgot that officially taxes aren't due yet. Sometimes lawyers are taxpreparers if you want legal advice on it, other place are h and r block. With h and r block you might have to wait in line but still they're usually very good. If you see a preparer if you prepared and submitted on line be sure to take copies of all submissions with you.

    Answer by lfl at 1:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

  • The IRS website specifically says to HOLD onto the money if you got back more than what you expected. They will either send you a letter explaining why you got more and then you can spend that money- or they will explain the error to you and quite possibly zap your account. I'd wait a week and see if you get a letter. If you don't then try calling them and ask them what is up.

    Hopefully it's your money :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • thanks for the answers, after almsot an hour on the phone witheh IRS - the money is mine - I am loving the making work pay credit!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.