How to get started potty training.

My son is 22 months old. We bought the potty for him a couple months ago but he wasn't showing my interest in it. Yesterday he was and we put him on it. It was a lot of him standing up, looking at it, trying to figure out how to sit on it and such. It was about 20 minutes of this and he never went. I am trying to figure out how to get him to understand he goes to the bathroom in the potty. Do you think we are off to a good start or should there be something else we need to be trying? I didn't figure he would go his first times on the potty, we are just a little lost on starting this whole process.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We followed the advice given in this journal post:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post
    Essentially, you put them in undies from day 1 and wait for them to start peeing before you move them to the potty. They get pretty quickly what the potty's for. My daughter trained using this method at 19 months. I say if you have some energy and time, give it a try.

With my second daughter, 17mos , who started showing interest really young (sister is only 15 months older), we started much more gradually and let her sit when she wanted to, then began having her sit at times she was likely to have a BM (after meals) or before and after naps and bed, etc. We didn't see much at first, but just about a week or so ago started getting a lot of "hits." We read to her while she's on there. Now when she has to poop, she says, "book" and starts walking over there. She doesn't tell us she needs to pee yet.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I'm still in the process of potty training my son as well, but one thing that helped me when I first started was to take him in and sit him down on his chair while I went. I told him that 'mommy was going potty, do you want to go potty to?' And after a couple days of this he went for the first time. Then once he knew what to do, I had no problems getting him to sit down. He doesn't always go, because according to him it 'gets stuck', LOL, but we've made alot of headway. Oh, another thing I do too, is every time I change his diaper I take to his potty chair. Good luck momma :)
    Joelygirl

Answer by Joelygirl at 2:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2010