First date..ughh...

If you are meeting someone just for drinks, do you offer to pay for your own? Or just sit back and expect the guy to be a gentleman and pick up the tab? I haven't dated for years..but I think the guy should pick up the tab...I know how guys are..if you act like you deserve to be treated like a princess they step up to the plate... advice anyone? It feels weird to me not paying my own way...lil confused here...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well, you can always offer to take care of your portion, and see what he does...
    but the way most guys are these days, seeming only to think of themselves...
    wow it just makes me so glad that I have been in a mostly stable relationship
    for the past two years, and that I don't have to worry about all the dating do's
    and don'ts. LOL.
    Best wishes for you, and I hope it goes well.
    After all, it's just drinks. That way, if he turns out to be either a major loser
    or a major asshole, you can just leave and it won't be rude. If it were dinner,
    you'd be kinda stuck because you can't just walk out on dinner without being
    rude. If halfway through the first drink you're getting 'run' vibes from this guy,
    find a reason to leave. Drinks are always better than dinner for a first date!
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 9:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I know, it's confusing. You could eliminate that confusion by doing something different. My SO & I had our first date just sitting on a dock at the lake talking. No drinks, no dinner, nothing at all to pay for. Otherwise, the rule I always followed was that whoever did the asking pays. So if he asked, he should pay, or if you asked, you should pay. Or if you absolutely want to be sure, just come right out and ask. "Hey, are we going dutch or who's paying?"
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I would be prepared to pay, but if he offers, then let him.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I'd say in such an informal setting,you'd pay for your own. If he says he wants to take you out to dinner,I'd assume he'd be paying,but have cash on hand.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2010