How soon can I start feeding my baby rice cerea

My baby was born 5 weeks early and was only 3.9lbs. He is doing awesome, and gaining weight. He is now almost 7lbs and will be 10 wks Tuesday. I wanted to try and bulk him up a bit sooner... is it too soon for a bit of cereal? If not, what would you suggest?

arizonaDawn

Asked by arizonaDawn at 1:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was born 6 weeks early and weighed 5.5 pounds and is doing perfectly fine and is actually kind of chunky now! its definatly too soon for rice cereal. start feeding him rice cereal with a spoon & fruit around 4-5 months.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• 6 months unless your doc says otherwise. Rice cereal has less fat and calories per volume than breastmilk or formula. It won't bulk him up -- it will fill him up, making him less hungry for what he really needs. Not to mention it's a choking hazard for babies that young.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Nurse/bottle feed him more. ANY food before one is only for practice. It is only vital after one. Right now he needs to nurse on demand or be bottle fed enough to satisfy him. Many oz. of formula.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I agree with the PP. No solids until at around six months...that's when babies can usually sit unassisted, have lost the tongue thrust reflex, and are showing the ability to bring food to their own mouths...all of that signals a more mature digestive system. Food before 1 is just for fun. Rice won't bulk him up, it will over stuff him like taking a fiber pill would do to you making him take in fewer calories.

Breastmilk or formula only.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Oh...only when he can sit up unassisted(to prevent choking), has no tongue thrust reflex(that is a tell tale sign to whether or not he is ready), is at least 6 months and drinks at least 32 oz of formula and is still hungry. He also is only going to get a tiny amount of food and only after he has had a bottle. Milk, whether yours or formula, should be his sole source of nutrition until at least one. The food is just to try it. After about one, he can eat for nutrition. Try homemade food, like avocados smushed then.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• No rice cereal before the age of 4 months unless your baby has severe reflux and it was prescribed by the doctor.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I gave my baby rice at about two months. It went fine. But I don't know if your baby being early would affect whether he could have rice yet or not. I think you should ask his doctor.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Cereal has LESS calories per ounce then breast milk and formula. Ideally, you should wait till at least 6 mos. If you want him to gain, keep nursing on demand, or FF on demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• baby food in general, especially rice cereal, is very low in calories. If you add cereal your baby will most likely start taking less formula or breastmilk, which will actually make him gain less. There's no reason to bulk up your baby, heck my son was 15 lbs at his 1st bday. Their weight doesn't constitute how healthy they are. Just keep giving him enough breastmilk or formula- that is ALL he needs the first year, baby food is meant for experimentation and shouldn't be introduced until at least 6 months.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My son was 6 weeks early and the doc said start rice cereal at 4 months adjusted age.
    Anonymous