What do you think about people who...

...use their religion to guide their vote?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Religion is what you believe. So why wouldn't you vote based on what you believe? People say religion and politics shouldn't mix but how can it not mix if you believe in something so deeply?
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I think the Mount Vernon Statement put it best:
    unlimited government is a threat to moral self-government

Meaning that those who let their religion do the voting are creating a bigger mess than they are trying to prevent. A government that dictates who can marry, who controls the body, what religions, businesses, and words are "allowable" is just as large and unwieldy as one that controls healthcare decisions. It's big government with a conservative sticker, but it's no different than progressivism.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• People vote according to beliefs. Both the religious and the non religious. If not on their beliefs then what?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I think it's stupid to use anything other than common sense.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• To each their own... I am sure there are people out there that take a magic 8 ball into the voting booths with them... Regardless of what I think, they have a right to THEIR vote... No matter how they determine their choice... It would be great if ALL amercicans would take a civics class and PAY attention... But I learned from the 2008 election, no matter what is being presented up for vote? People have THEIR personal reason for THEIR vote. No one can take that away....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Being a Christian is who I am. It governs everything I do every day. I believe the bible to be the word of God. Therefor, I have vote based on what I believe God would want. How do I know what God would want? I read my bible. It's all in there.

15

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• that is why I don't vote and I stay politically neutral. I'm neither for or against any one government, country or law. I'm a law abiding citizen, I pay my taxes, respect the government of the nation in which I inhabit. I pay Cesar's things to Cesar and God's things to God.

Anonymous

• It worked for the Founding Fathers. It works for me. My faith is ingrained into my very being. I don't have a Catholic side and a non-Catholic side.

People use their lack of religion when they vote. That is their right, just as voting my religous beliefs is mine.

1
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• It is their choice. We all are motivated by something. Some force, moral compass, etc. It is up to the individual. I have no issue with it.
    LeeLeeCandleGrl

Answer by LeeLeeCandleGrl at 1:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I think they would be making a huge mistake.
    Anonymous