how do I get him to play by himself?

My 2 year old son will not play by himself. I have tried forcing him to play in his room, tricking him into playing by himself and sneaking away from him to prompt him to play by himself. I try to ignore his requests to play with him but nothing is working.
Please don't take this question the wrong way. I play with my son ALL OF THE TIME!! I need a frickin' break and he needs to play alone. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get him blocks to build and basic puzzles to do but you still have to be nearby though. It is just the age he is at. Sorry. They are clingy at that age. I used to put on a "bob the buider" ( or similar ) DVD for mine when I needed a break. That will give you at least half and hour. LOl. Else consider putting him in a morning play group 2-3 times week so you can have a rest.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 1:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I wish that I could help but my DD refuses to play with me. She loves playing by herself and if I try to join in she freaks out.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 1:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My son doesn't play independently either. He will play with his cars for the longest time alone, which is 20 minutes or less 1 time a day... He is in daycare though and I work outside the home so I at least get a break. Otherwise on weekends, I tell him NO, mommy has to do laundry, ask him to be a helper and he LOVES to do it, but gets bored and will still wait for me at the door. We have battled with this and he went through a very very clingy stage at 18 months where I literally could not do a thing ..I feel your pain mommy.. but sometimes you just have to do your thing, whether he wants you to or not. if he crys, then he crys, the more it happens, the less he will be so upset about it - just talk and explain short sentances.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• It's an unrealistic expectation. Little children require constant supervision, partly to stay safe, but mostly in order to learn to interact appropriately with other people.

If you keep him with you while you're working, you can chat to him about what you're doing, including him wherever possible --it might take 5 minutes longer to put a load of laundry in which may eat into your computer surfing time, but it will improve his vocabularly tremendously, help him feel capable and included and socialize him properly.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have a 22 mo. old and a 3 mo. old baby. My toddler still won't play by herself but she has resigned to the fact that mommy can't hop up and play with her every second of the day any more (nursing baby...etc.). She still hangs out with me, but I just interact with her vocally as best I can - she turns the pages of a book and I read, I tell her about the different things in the room, I ask her to practice taking care of her baby doll while mommy takes care of the baby, etc. We also put Elmos' World on a couple of times a day to keep her entertained - she seems to be picking up language skills from it and it has really sparked her curiosity regarding numbers and letters.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2010