Older Women

Why is it that when you talk to an older woman about anything she always tries to make you feel stupid?Like you have no brain and no idea of what you are talking about?I asked for some advice and the woman basically tried to point out all that I did wrong instead of helping me with my problem!I know she thought I was having trouble because I was young and inexperienced but I was sitting there thinking she has no idea what I am talking about because she has never had to deal with it! Does any one else try to shy away from asking an older woman anything? If not can you tell me how to approach it!

cgonzales542

Asked by cgonzales542 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Hey I am old, or so they say (60) and I never do this, I just give advice on what I did in my youth and how it might have worked for me or not. Being young does not necessarily mean your stupid or inexperienced, I know plenty of young ladies who have a better head on their shoulders than their older peers. Age is not always is the equivalent to wisdom.

Answer by older at 1:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have a friend who belittled a younger woman for saying "thanks for your help". odd right? She whispered to someone, "why is she thanking me? I am her elder". I laughed so hard because there was only a few years age difference. I dont think it's an age thing, there are some younger women out there who are more experienced at some things than I am and might have the same attitude as the one you experienced.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I think we need to take all those "older women" and toss them out of a plane at 35,000 feet. @@
    Are you kidding me? OLDER women? Nice stereotype. Some day you will be an "Older woman" and some young mouthy chick will gripe about YOU.
    Karma....remember?
    Anonymous

• its not just older women, i have come across one woman who is 8 years younger than me and thought she knew all the answers..some women are just cocky like that
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Eleanor Roosvelt said 'no one can make you feel bad about yourself without your permission.'

If you don't think you're stupid, no one --at any age-- can make you feel stupid.

If you think, or fear, that you are stupid, you'll blame other people for that all the time, but they're not putting it in your head. It's already there.

If you want the information you're asking about, ask the people you think have it. If they happen to be older women who have the information, how does that matter? If you don't want to ask them for information, find it somewhere else, but don't blame the people you ask for information for having it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I guess anonymous didn't catch the "Just for fun" note on the question! There was no stereo typing! Would you prefer for me to call them old geezers or is older ladies ok? No really tell me what you would like them called.... And as far as karma, karma only finds the ones who have misleading intentions! Just take "older" for example! She is one of the ones that actually tries to help other women and has an open mind! She is what you should be! But instead you are offended by a post that was not directed towards you. Open that mind momma and don't take everything so serious!! Laugh or you'll cry;)
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Why would that be due to her age? Perhaps she's like this with everyone.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Ever thought maybe what came out of your mouth was something stupid,and the *OLDER* women was pointing it out to you before you embarrass yourself? some times younger don't mean smarter. You could be book smart and street dumb. My own daughter thinks she knows it all, ha- she knows nothing. You want to be taken serious- talk with sense. We *OLDER* women been there done that.
    Anonymous

• I've got to agree with Linda. If I've ever made you feel stupid it wasn't because I was TRYING it was because you just were. I don't understand why this is in Just for Fun, and I though the first anon was funny. The OP however was lame. If you meant this as a joke try again, it didn't come across that way.
    Anonymous

• Well the older ladies in the bunch are offended but yet intrigued enough to keep posting comments!! So who are the dumb ones here? In these cases, older just means "nothing better to do":( Well I'm glad I could ignite the flame that you were missing! You're Welcome!!! Muahhh;)
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2010