What does your kitchen and living room look like?

Our living room looks dark bc we have no windows and out of date.

And our kitchen looks blah no inviting feeling to be in here unless it is time to eat we have those medium dark cabinets, fruity wallpaper that the previous owner did and the counter looks like that fake wood and a porcelin sink which is so hard to keep white/beighish looking. My dh just bought us a SS fridge and a SS stove now we are waiting for the SS dishwasher so far so good. But I really would like to make a slight change something I can do like now something quick and simple...something I can do myself I am a SAHM...thank you ladies!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• we live on a military base so things look a bit bland. our kitchen is all white except for beige tile laminate and grey slate mainate counters. but its really updated and nice.
    our whole house is tile. but we have a combined livingroom / dinning room. theres a decient amount of light that shines threw the windows. theres also two in the kitchen to add to it.
    we have gone with borwn and maroon colors in our living room. with black and oak furniture. i love my lil house.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Rip down the wall paper and paint the walls. You can also paint your cabinets. Our cabinets are an off white and have been antiqued so they never show dirt the way white cabinets do. We have SS appliances. The walls are sage green.

Repaint the living room. A light color will brighten it up. White trim/ crown molding and a freshly painted ceiling will really change a room.

I recommend Olympic Zero VOC paint. You can buy it at Lowes. It has NO smell. None!

Paint for 2 rooms, paint for trim, paint for cabinets, paint for antique finish = $80 to paint the ceilings add in another $30
    Brushes, rags, rollers, drop cloths, tape = $25

For under $150 you could seriously change both of those rooms.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Don't bother taking the paper off the walls, just prime it with a good acrylic primer and paint over it.

You can also paint the countertops with melamine paint --it's more expensive and won't last more than about 5 years (particularly if you use your counters as cutting boards), but it's a quick and cheap fix that really smartens up a room until you can arrange a complete reno.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Natural cherry cabinets, stainless steel appliances, black quartz counter tops. SS sink, green walls, almost white trim and a slate looking tile on the floor. We also to the horrible "popcorn" off of the ceilings so the ceilings are flat. Some of our cabinets have glass front doors. Most do not.

Now, because of a sagging floor, we had to do a complete remodel of the kitchen. Cabinets were going to have to come out and flooring had to be cut up to jack up and support the floor joists under the kitchen. Figured if that was happening might as well remodel. That was over 4 yrs ag.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Living room, dark trim and cream walls. Getting ready to paint it and change the doors on the built ins surrounding the fireplace.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• The previous owners put in cherry cabinets, but they had a tiny fridge. So, there was only one SS model that would fit; and, we bought everything else in that line: SS stove, dishwasher,etc. We have dark green granite counter tops. We ripped down the horrid paper they had up BEFORE we even moved in, and we put in a wood floor. It's finally painted a bright yellow-green, and I just bought a matching island. My family room is a double-room that was painted a pale yellow-gold. The smaller room will be painted a brighter shade to help lighten it up. Trust me, a coat of paint makes a huge difference! Good luck!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 10:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• You can sand down the cabinets and either re-stain them or paint them to give your kitchen a fresh new look without the expense of new cabinets.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:43 AM on Feb. 20, 2010