Paying for deletion

So Ive done my research, and theres only one thing left on my credit report to fix. And its an old credit card that i let slip. I'm going to attempt a pay for deletion within the next 8 months with them because i want to look into buying a house (its the only thing they told me to fix on my credit)...Has any one had success in paying for deletion on their credit report? How long did the process take?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• All my sister had to do was explain her discrepancies in great detail... like " that month I did not pay my carpayment because my child had to go to the dentist and I had not other money. However, the next month I paid on time and have not missed a car payment since..." You get the idea. She had to write about 3 or 4 of these type of letters. I don't think you need to pay anyone for this.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 9:44 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Save your money. Paying someone to do something they can't is stupid. The only way it could be deleted is if it were in error. If not, then time is what will cause it to fall off. Explain the situation to the banker. Save the money for the downpayment or closing on the house.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• OP HERE!!! Credit card companies can actually delete things off of your credit report, the same way they can change your status to pays as agrees! They are the ones who reported it so they CAN yank it off...i was just wondering if anyone has ever done it...I cant really send a letter saying the next month i paid them because i havent. its in charge off status. Thanks though ladies!
    Anonymous

• Ok. Thought you may have meant paying one of those credit repair scam outfits.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 2:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• So if I'm reading this right then you haven't paid them yet right? I would start piling away cash and then make them an offer to settle the debt for say 50 cents on the dollar as well as a written agreement that upon payment of the account they will remove the negative information on your credit report. It's going to be tough to get them to do this once you've given them all that money (aka you've lost your one and only bargaining chips.)

However, just having settled the debt should raise your credit score anyway. Although probably not as high as it would have been if you had paid them on time.
    Anonymous