Hamburger Recipes and food storage questions.

We bought 5 lbs of hamburger meat a few weeks back, and froze it. Well, I thawed it out and now I'm having to come up with how to fix it all, lol! I've already used about 2.5 lbs of it split between vegetable soup and chili. I'm trying to use things that I have on hand. I had a ton of canned vegetables and a few cans of beans and some diced tomatoes, so if you have any other recipes that I can use for the meat, I'd appreciate them, but they need to be something that I can freeze either in ziplock bags, small plastic containers or glass casserole dishes with lids.
My other question is, how long can I keep things frozen like that. Will they go bad after a while?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 1:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Whenever I have extra hamburger on hand I use this recipe.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/taco-pot-pie-recipe.htm

Me and my ds just love it and it's easy to store for hubby when he gets out of work in the morning. You need to have a cast-iron skillet or some kind of skillet that can go in the oven though.
    AmberBrat

Answer by AmberBrat at 2:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Hawaiian burgers.

Get some hawaiian pineapple sauce from the store. Mix it in with your hamburger along with garlic and onion if you want. Then grill the burgers. Along with the burgers grill slices of pineapple. (These can be an optional thing like tomatoes and lettuce.) Then serve. It is absolutely delicious! But you might want to add bread crums to the mix because they tend to break apart easily when you put them on the grill. Give it a shot!

Also there is a taco recipe. Here's the link I got it off foodnetwork.com

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/beef-taco-salad-with-chunky-tomato-dressing-recipe/index.html
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• In the future, when buying bulk meat, divide it into 1 lb sections, and freeze each 1 lb section separately. I wrap mine in wax paper, then in plastic wrap, then in foil. I smoosh it down to form a nice even square before wrapping so it will defrost in the microwave evenly. This way you can take what you need and not have to defrost and use all of the meat at the same time.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Cook it up and freeze it in meal-sized portions. I love cooking large batches of meat so that I have some ready to heat & eat when we need a quick meal. I prefer to freeze just the plain meat vs a meal because my options are more open.
    Anonymous