Need help, trying to break my daughter from the bottle..

My daughter will only go to bed if she has her bottle. She is 10 months and I would like to have her on just sippy cups by her first birthday. My question is what is the best sippy cup to use? I need ones that will not leak or come out to quickly when she lays down for bed or a nap.

I have three kinds, none of which work exactly how I would like. Two of them have the soft spouts (like the harder version of a bottle nipple in the more square shape) the other kind is just the $1 ones from Wal-mart. They have the hard plastic round top.

What kind did you use? Did you like them?

imamommmmyyy

Asked by imamommmmyyy at 2:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well we are definitely in the same boat with the sippys, my daughter hated sippy cups because of the hard nipple but i tried the nuk with a soft laytex nipple and it doesnt leak! my daughter isnt allergic to laytex so this one works just perfect. It is a little more expensive then the rest but what can i say, i do not want her to have any more bottles by the time she is 1. highly recommended! Good luck!
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 3:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Just wanted to add, she is fine with the sippy cups I have when she is awake and just needs a drink, I'm looking mainly for ones that will work for when she goes to bed at night or down for a nap. Thanks for any advice!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Honestly you should consider breaking her of the habit of taking a bottle OR sippy cup to bed entirely. I hear thats hard to break but its important. I have not had to break this myself but I had to move my 13 month old from my bed to her crib in her own room. She cried until she fell asleep and after 1 difficult week of me NOT giving in, she got used to this new arrangement. Better to break your habit entirely rather than to have to do this all over again in a few months to a year.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Break her of taking milk to bed or needing it to fall asleep first. Part of the reason why you're supposed to get her off the bottle is to prevent bottle rot (tooth decay) but if you're letting her take a sippy to bed, you're still putting her at risk. If you haven't already, establish a solid night time routine. (Bath, lotion, PJs, Book, Bottle, Bed). If she is falling asleep at the bottle...wake her up before you lay her down. I know, it sounds counter intuitive but she has to learn how to fall asleep of her own accord. (Truth is...she already knows how...everyone wakes up several times a night and goes back to sleep on their own). Then, start moving the bottle up a step at a time. i.e. Bath, Lotion, PJs, Bottle, Book, Bed....then a week later do Bottle, Bath, Lotion, PJs, Book, Bed. She is old enough to have a comfort item in bed with her now - stuffed toy, blanket, etc. Once you've gotten ...tbc
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• ...her off her reliance on the bottle to go to sleep, then go cold turkey with the bottle. Keep her "milk" routine the same...just switch to a bottle. If you used to sit down in a special chair with a special blanket for bottle time, do the same thing with the sippy cup. You should even continue warming it up. It will likely only take her about 3-4 days to get over the change. In the mean time, hold your ground, do not give in and increase her cheese and yogurt servings to compensate for missed dairy servings in her diet. The strongest advice I can give you is to make this happen before she turns 1...once they're over 1 they get exponentially more difficult regarding change. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I meant switch to a sippy cold turkey.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I don't understand this 'need' to have babies off the bottle. Sippys ARE bottles but they just LOOK more grown up. If you are serious though...

Start watering down the milk at night until it is just water. Some babies give it up at night when it is just water. Mine never did though. My 3 year old takes a sippy of water to bed with him and my 13 month old takes a bottle of water. So if your kid is like mine you will just have to go cold turkey and listen to the crying.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:44 AM on Feb. 20, 2010