How is this?

I was at the library the other day and saw this black family. The mom was brown skinned and the father was a little bit lighter than her. The child however, was lighter than both of them, like considerably lighter. How is it possible that the kid would be lighter than both her parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• genes. maybe you should go rent "the human stain"
    Anonymous

• sometimes babies are born light, and darken as they get older. thats what happened to my cousin.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Maybe one of the grandparent's on one side is lighter. Grandparent's gene's play a role too. It is possible maybe the father(or mother) has one Caucasian parent and one African American parent. It's kind of the same as with two lighter skinned parents having a darker skinned child due to the great great grandfather being darker. Gene's can skip a generation or two, maybe even three, and then show up again.

In my family every other generation has a red head, my parents were both blonde and my brother had red hair. Basically, the same thing could have happened with this family's skin color.

Hope that helps explain it!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• there's beige, there's vanilla, there's off white, there's tan, there's lillywhite, there's yellow.

there's brown, there's chocolate brown, there's dark chocolate, there is black.

it's called the human race they're they color they are because they're humans.

Do you know any caucasian people whose skin tones vary in their own families? Or asian families whose skin tones vary? People's skin tones can vary within the same race and from interracial relationships within a family from recent or a long ago time.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• everyone is light when they are younger,as they havent been exposed to the sun as much and reached their final color,but maybie this child just happens to have genes that are lighter,thats possible too.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 2:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Clearly a bastard child. Come on, are you seriously wasting our time with this?
    Anonymous

• genetics. you missed that chapter in biology i take it?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• really? I have a friend who is a very light skinned black woman. Her husband is darker. They have four kids that range from pretty light to very dark. Even "white" people come in shades too. Genetics is a wonderful thing. Stop looking for something that isn't.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• There is a variable. The families surely have some variety in it.

Also, like a PP said, skin color can change over time. I know I was much darker as a kid than I am now (I'm white, but my complexion was definitely more "olive").
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My son is light skinned and light eyed like my husband. I have dark hair and eyes and figured my genes would be dominant. My daughter is a little bit darker complected than my son but her eyes are still light colored. We took all kinds of crap when our son was born, "you couldn't be his dad, just kidding." Then our daughter was born with the same features and eyes. Then DH said, "still think I'm not their dad?" It's all genetics.

wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2010