What would it make you switch Pediatricians?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When my daughter was 4 months old I took her to the pediatrician for a check up.

The doctor asked how long I was going to breastfeed. I said "we are planning to follow the WHO's recommendations of 2 years." She looked annoyed and said, "SHE"S GOING TO HAVE TEETH!" I told her I was fully aware of that and very concerned that she was so uneducated on the subject of breastfeeding. She then said, "well I guess that's better than 5."

That flat out pissed me off because the world wide weaning age is between 5 and 7 years old.

We needed a doctor that was going to support our decision to BF full term so we switched and I am SO glad we did. Our pedi. now is AMAZING. He's SO informed about breastfeeding and very supportive. He's also not afraid to tell new mom's that BF isn't easy but not to be researching around for a bottle at the 1st sign of trouble.

He's AWESOME!!
    Anonymous

• any level of dissatisfaction with the office staff, the dr or nurses
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• When my middle daughter was less than a year old her (now old) pedi thought she might have had RSV. She told me RSV was "NO BIG DEAL!" I scoffed at her, walked out of the office and immediately made an appointment with a new pedi. She didn't have it, thank God, but just the fact that a DOCTOR would tell me RSV was "no big deal" was it for me. The old pedi also some how missed her bilateral ear infection.

milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• The dr. rolling his eyes several times at several appointments b/c my twin babies were crying.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 2:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• if you are asking what would make you switch pediatricians... then:
    1) it is important to have a pediatrician that has an on-call nurse at all times. not an after hours hotline! my previous pediatrician connected you to a hotline when you called after hours. i called once and they told me it was ok to give meds again... and i said no it hasnt been 4 hours since her last dosage and then she apologized bc she didnt realize what tme zone i was in!!! here i was calling a hotline located in canada. she also told me to put olive oil in my daughters ears... and my daughter did not even have an ear infection (i was calling in regards to a fever). i did not follow her advice. and i had to pay $15 for this call!
    2) have a pediatrician who allows the mother to make decisions in regards to vaccinations, ect. dr. sears has a list on his website.
    3) find a pedictrican that you like and has a smaller office. (continued)
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• We used to take our son to a group of doctors. Every time we went for a check up they assigned us a different doctor. We like for our children to get familiar with one Doctor only if possible.
    Anonymous

• my current office has one doctor and he has a nurse practitioner. my previous office had about 10 different doctors. they all told me different things... and were never familiar with what was going on with my child. they also gave her a catheter on three different occasions. when i switched to my new pediatrician and they needed to colect urine... they just put thins little plastic bag on her in the diaper. when she went it got caught in the bag.... no pain. i never even knew these bags existed with my previous pediatrician!
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• What has made me switch was the first one we went to telling me at my son's 18 month check up that he should be speaking in sentences and since he was not something was wrong with him and that he should weigh more and since he did not he had failure to thrive. The second time I switched was a doctor telling me that there was nothing wrong with my daughter even though she was constipated, cried all the time literally, and had a rash that covered one third of her body and continued to spread. I begged a specialist to see her on very short notice and found out she had a protein allergy.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I just switched! Not outside of my practice but to a different doc who works in the same one! My pedi went out of the country for like a month and my son got a bad ear infection so he had to see another doc. When i saw this other doc i was SOO amazed at how she handled my son, she tried to make him laugh, spent plenty of time with me answering my questions and explained everything about him getting tubes! After that i NEVER went back to his original pedi. This new one was better on so many levels but the main one was her interaction with my son! She acted like she really CARED!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I had a pediatrician who dismissed my suggestion for Genetian Violet to treat my daughters very persistent Thrush. She insisted on refilling my Nystatin prescription 4 times before I went to see another doctor. The new doctor actually presented the Genetian Violet without me even mentioning it, and applied it in the office. It cleared up in a week.

That made me switch.

There are SO many reasons. No doc will be absolutely perfect but as a whole they should respect you as a parent, not be afraid to tell you the truth even when its not the norm (but you have to listen too), and treat your child as a patient and not a chart.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2010