Has anyone used or is currently using a diaphram for b/c?

Could you tell me what you like and don't like about it, and how easy it is to use, or any other info you have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• I find it very easy. I really like it. I have no dislikes about it. It is not hard to insert. Hubby and I can not tell it is in.
    Anonymous

• They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible

Answer by rkoloms at 4:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I used one for ages. Pros: no hormones. Don't need to do anything daily. Can't feel it (either partner) once it's in place. Relatively easy to use (once you get the hang of putting it in and taking it out.) Comparable to condoms in effectiveness.

Cons: It's only about as effective as condoms, which is to say not as effective as the pill or some other methods of bc. If you are prone to bladder infections it can contribute to them- I would get them before I realized I needed to wash the diaphgragm again before inserting it, then go pee immediately afterwards. This is contrary to the package instructions that say to pee first, then insert.

I did like it as a bc method- the only reason I stopped using it was because the spermicide you need to use with it stopped being sold in Canada and the alternative spermicide was SO expensive. And because we're done having kids now, the failure rate felt a bit high for me.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Con't. But I used it while bf'ing all three kids and in between pregnancies and had no complaints once I figured out how to keep myself from getting UTIs related to it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I used it and got pregnant with it after about 6 months.
    It was fine when we used it with the pullout method but I finally started to "trust" it and then i got pregnant. I will never use one again! It was easy to use and i followed instructions, but I had only had it 6 months and I felt like it was drying out which coulda been why i got pregnant. I used it with spermicide. I think i rememebr teh efeectiveness being way less than condoms at only 80% effective.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2010