ear infections and allergies

My daughter has had tons of ear infections since her first one (I'd say about 7-9 between the ages of 9 months and 17 months). She also has one food allergy that we know of -- peanuts (a big one). A friend of mine has a child with tons of allergies, and every time she sees that my daughter is suffering from yet another ear infection, she automatically jumps to the allergy thing -- she says I should really get her tested for a whole panel of allergens, that her son got ear infections all the time but they went away when they finally found all the allergens... But my allergist doesn't think she needs any more tests, and both he and my pediatrician don't seem alarmed by all these ear infections. My daughter does not have any other symptoms of additional food allergies -- no skin reactions, normal bowel functioning... Any thoughts? Should I find a new allergist who will do more tests or just assume they're unrelated?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 2:55 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I honestly don't know. I did want to say though, about the ear infections... I just had my 13 month old in for his second ear infection and was told that if he gets 3 infections in a short period of time (6 months) that she wants to send him to an ear, nose, and throat specialist to have him checked out. Getting regular/frequent ear infections has the potential to permanently damage hearing.
    Anonymous

• chronic ear infections is a symptom of a milk allergy. Trust your gut on this one. If you think you need a second opinion, I would get one. For me personally, I would get a second opinion from another allergist. I have found pediatrician's do not know too much about ear infections. Also, if you are interested, a chiropractor has worked wonders for my son. He used to get back to back ear infections. The adjustments have strongly improved his entire immune system as well.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2010