Have you ever had to finally accept that someone you care about is just dumb as a brick?

I have a sister who is 19, and has made some seriously BAD decisions in her life. Things that have affected her entire life, like running away for pretty much no reason at all when she was a teenager, moving out when she was 18 to live in the front yard of a friend's house in a camper, getting a very LARGE tattoo that was a big mistake (even she admits it), failing out of her 1st semester of college, crashing 2 cars to the point they were totaled, buying a car for a friend who has no driver's licence and not understanding the ramifications of that, etc. She always blames these decisions on "just not thinking" about the consequences, but I'm starting to come to the conclusion that she just got the short end of the intelligence stick. That's really hard for me to accept, b/c honestly, most of our family is very intelligent and responsible. Have you ever had to accept that someone you care about just isn't too smart?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• You get sister of the year award..........NOT!
    Anonymous

• Give her some time... My sister was the same way :-) she is finally growing out of it but it took awhile! Good luck to you and your sister
    Anonymous

• Your wrong. You don't even love your sister.
    Anonymous

• She is 19. Let her be a teenager. Just because you are a old goat doesn't mean you need to treat her like CHIT.

Anonymous

• Lord yes. Don't believe the other posters either. There is the stupidty of youth, then there is the dumbass. At 19 people need to have at least some amount of intelligence. I really hate the whole idea that someone can be a complete f*&%$^@ idiot until they are 30.
    Anonymous

• Yes!! I have a twin brother who is as you call it gotten the short end of the smart stick! No matter what he does he always does it the hard way! I just try and look out for him and make sure that he has really thought it through and hope for the best!!! :)
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have several of these family members.You try to talk sense to them and they look at you with that dumbs*it expression on their faces!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• She sounds like a prime candidate for one of those reality TV shows.... Yes, sometimes you just have to shake your head and wonder if she really is related to you. Hopefully she'll develop some sort of common sense at some point but yeah..she doesn't sound that intelligent at this point.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 3:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• sounds like my sister. atleast yours didnt have a baby at 15 and expect you to take care of them both. my sis at 15 moved her and her new baby into my house because my mom couldnt do it and i had to remind her of EVERYTHING: changing diapers, feeding, bathing, trimming nails, EVERYTHING!
    Anonymous

• OP - I DO love my sister. For years now, I have been defending her to my parents, helping her finish highschool and TRYING to help her through college, giving her rides everywhere after she wrecked her cars, sitting down w/ her and explaining calmly (something my parents never could do) what was wrong w/ the decisions she made, trying to help her come up w/ plans to get out of legal trouble, and basically being her "life coach". But all she's ever given in return is lying to me, lying ABOUT me to our parents, ignoring my advice, and ignoring her nephew for the first year of his life. She hasn't shown ant signs of maturing since she was 15. I'm tired of being stepped on by her antics, and the only way I can justify her actions is to believe that she truly doesn't understand the real world and how you ought to behave as an adult.
    Anonymous