Waldorf schools

I really want to send my son to a waldorf school BUT: 1) it is not realistic for our family to completely oust plastic toys. We love, love wood and silk and we do have those available, DH even makes wooden toys for DS, but we can not afford to only do wood nor do we feel it is right to get rid of toys that grandparents, etc buy for him on the basis that they are plastic. We also do not think it is right to ask for only wooden toys (those are so much more costly). 2) we love books in our house. While we will not be teaching our son to read early, we will not take books away from him 3) My DS did not watch t.v at all until he was 2. We now limit the amount of television he watches and censor it. We are a movie watching family and will always be one. My question is: will a Waldorf school accept us knowing all of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Huh? What is a Waldorf school?
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Holy smokes I thought the name looked familiar. There is one of these schools where I work...it is the coolest looking building EVER.
    For nearly 90 years, Waldorf schools have been leaders in providing students, from newborns to teenagers, with a truly holistic education. Every Waldorf student is seen as a unique human being developing physically, emotionally, socially, intellectually and morally. From learning to tie their shoes to grappling with atomic theory, Waldorf students are taught in a socially responsible, intellectually engaging, and motivational manner. Waldorf graduates enter the world with clarity of thought, a caring heart and the confidence to initiate change.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 3:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• mothering.com has a Waldorf sub-board on their "Learning at School" board.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• sounds like a cult
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Oh yes, TMJ, anything different from what you do must be a cult! *rolls eyes*

Waldorf schools just have a different approach to learning and it works very well for some children.

Teachers in Waldorf schools are dedicated to generating an inner enthusiasm for learning within every child... allowing motivation to arise from within and helping engender the capacity for joyful lifelong learning.

Anonymous

• I just know what I read on their website but I will tell you this. I have worked in my district for almost 10 years. I have been to the Waldorf school ONCE in 10 years for a call requiring police. I can't tell you how many times I've been called to the other public an d catholic primary and high schools in my district.

To me that means something....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2010