How come they couldn't do a mammogram if I have a lump?

I had to wait for a mammogram apt. I explained I have a lump under my breast. They noted it! I went in today. Registered,Checked in, waited, went down for it and was told they couldn't do it! I have to go to a further away hospital. 50 miles one Way for a ultrasound & mamogram! I don't understand! Is this how it goes? If anyone else went through this. I'd be grateful for any advice and suggestions! Being jobless. That's a long drive and all

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 3:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Health

• Maybe they aren't experienced in the area of breast lumps and sent you to a hospital that can better eq
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• *help you sorry my lil guy hit the keyboard haha.... I hope it all turns out well.... God bless.... My 2 Aunties and my grandmother all battled breast cancer and won so I will say a prayer for you.... hopefully it is nothing! If you need to talk I'm here
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• maybe it's due to the location of the lump since you said under your breast. to me that sounds like it's not exactly in the breast.

also might be due to breast size. Maybe their machine isn't able to handle large breasts. Not that you look gigantic, but the photo on your profile, I wouldn't call you small chested either.
    Anonymous

• I had one when I was 16 and they sent me straight to a specialist 45 mins away.
    They didn't hesitate to cut it out either. Within a week I was scheduled for surgery, they cut it out and tested it to be benign and sent me on my way. =)
    They probably just want to send you to a specialist. They don't mess around when it comes to lumps..

Good luck!!
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 3:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• An ultrasound is a better tool

Answer by admckenzie at 4:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Guess it depends on what your medical facility can do.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2010