Is older really mean the wiser?

I asked a question earlier and I suppose I offended some of the older moms here. My intentions where not this but it seems to be some what of an interest. So for all of those older moms out there, does your age mean you are wiser than someone younger than you? Would you agree with some of the younger moms on how they attend to their lives? Are you open for new and inventive ways to be a mother? If so let me know!

cgonzales542

Asked by cgonzales542 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• good question. I don't think it is wisdom, but I sure wish I could go back to me as a first time Mom at 21 and tell me to just relax LOL . I think that some women can wear their age like a badge of honor, as if it somehow makes them an authority, but even street walkers get to be older women some day, and that doesn't mean they made wise choices. In general I think older women sometimes think that it would be nice to spare a young Mum some the angst that we went through. worrying about stuff that doesn't matter.
    That said, my Mom tried to put rice cereal in my 3 wk baby' s expressd BM bottle to get her to sleep thru, and my MIL thinks that smacking is the only effective form of disciplining (no she doesn't babysit for us!)
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• No, it doesn't. I've lived a lot, seen a lot and been through a lot. So have a lot of other younger women. Many older women have led sheltered lives, kept in the dark for what ever reason. I don't think age = intelligence.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Age means experience. We've been there,done that.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I think it can, but there are exceptions to every rule. Meaning In general all moms, young and old are good moms, but there are some young moms that give young moms a bad rep and there are old moms that give older moms a bad rep. So since it is usually the squeaky wheel that get the grease, those few nutcases are the ones that get the most recognition.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• No.
    bellaamore

Answer by bellaamore at 3:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Thank you ladies!! You know that is what makes us women the most awesome things on this planet! We understand each other and we try to help as best as we can!! I'm so glad that none of you were offended and thank you very much for sharing!!:):)
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i don't think so. there has been a lot of research done and shows that alot of things mom's did back then shouldn't be done today. and my mother in law thinks she knows it all!!! i read, read, and read stuff about babies and i admit i know more than her lol.
    Anonymous

• I take the wisdom of older moms whose children have already turned out how I want mine to turn out.  I've got a mom friend who tries to tell me what I need to do with my kids.  Her youngest is failing out of middle school and her oldest is a stripper.  I do not consider her wiser.  I do seek out moms who have older children than mine (a lot older, not just six months) who are well behaved, polite, and respectful.  I consider those parents wise.

whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• why would older moms be offended. I do believe in most cases the older you are, the more experience and maturity you have. That isn't an insult.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 5:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I'm old but not always wise, it depends on the topic. I've had a lot of experiences and learned from them. I gladly share what I dealt with so others can have more information so they can make a good decision that is right for them. What I see with young women is how I ended up making some of my bad choices. I hope that didn't come out wrong but youth sometimes can leave a person naive and vulnerable to the influence of others. They also are sometimes willing to continue tradition even if it's not a good tradition (spanking, yelling at children, etc). I believe it may be easier to just do as mom & dad did than to learn how to break a cycle.
    Anonymous