What fabric on a couch is good when you have pets?

The couches we have suck. It's a cotton fabric, but it's textured, and the damn dog fur does not want to come off. We have the vacuum that is supposed to get the pet fur, but it doesn't do so well. The stupid attachment specifically for that doesn't do anything. I want new furniture, so what kind of fabric do you recommend? I'm thinking a micro fiber, but is it durable? Hubby would like leather, but I'm worried about claws.

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• leather is good because the dogs hair is easy to wipe off. You can also get like a protective coat on the leather to prevent it from getting scratches everywhere
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 3:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• microfiber is 100% the way to go!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• LOL yeah, I'm hating my nice textured sofa set after getting pets... I say go with the microfiber.
    Anonymous

• Ah, it's just me, but I don't even let the dog on the couch. He should be so lucky as to sleep inside my house... but again, that's just me...
    Anonymous

• My couch is awfully comfy, and textured - so yes, the dog hair is horrid. I'd hate to get rid of my couch, so I'm getting a microfiber slipcover to match my decor. Voila!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 7:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My couch is microfiber and the dog hair is a pain in the ass!
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 8:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• titanium... lol

Anonymous

• We have a large (yard) dog that has been staying in lately due to the cold weather, I made a very nice pillowed pallet on the floor.. which she will use during the day, but at night she seems to slip into the living room and make herself comfortable on the couch! Okay.. I didn't have the heart to make her get up so now it's a habit.. I have just put a nice old bedspread on that corner that she uses. Every weekend I wash it and we start over. She stays out when it's warm so it's no problem most of the time. It's surprising how she has learned that she has to stay on that corner? With the economy the way it is, I suggest just covering your couch ! Hope it works for you :)
    Garagdoll
    GaRagdoll

Answer by GaRagdoll at 8:40 AM on Mar. 2, 2010