US jobless claims rose by more than expected last week

Is this more proof the stimulus is working?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I love how the White House/Media continues to use the words "unexpectedly rose'" when they talk about these numbers...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• So those numbers rise and so do the numbers of people who no longer receive unemployment benefits because they ran out. If we look at both combined, we see a hell of a lot of unemployed or underemployed people still. I have yet to see any benefit from that stupid stimulus...

Anonymous

• And along with that, Wal-mart had it's first LOSS. So, yeah, sheriff Joe, tell me again how well the stimulus is working.....

(link about WM http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4c23fbdc-1c8d-11df-8456-00144feab49a.html?nclick_check=1 )

7
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Isn't it odd that claims "rise unexpectedly", but if the claims were to drop the powers that be would break their arms trying to pat themselves on the back for a job well done?
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 4:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• grlygrlz2 you forgot your number - boo! but I agree unexpectedly is such a transparent word.
    Anonymous

• <> Gosh, I just wish I could paint this into a happy picture.

I would venture that we are very likely IN another depression according to the unemployment rates. They did a "study" here in my town to try and figure our "real" unemployment rate. Our reported rate is just over 14%. The REAL rate is 33%. That is shocking considering my area was a little more insulated than other parts of the country.

I am not even taking apps anymore. I will be hiring NO time soon and when I do all will be different. We are scaling down/back because I want to keep the total income under 250,000 this year. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was able to convert 2 jobs to contract positions...could have been the whole time according to criteria! This means I don't have to cut pay even as I scale back!

1

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• You think they would be afraid they were beginning to look really uneducated since it is always such a surprise when this happens month after month. LOL I also say an article that said prices had gone down except for food and energy. LMAO Food and energy are what people use the most of and worry the most about. Even that wording can't help them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• That and they fell more than expected the last two months. Good sound byting.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah you hadn't noticed the improvements? I found this interactive map the other day supossidly lets folks know where stimulus funds went and if any jobs were created/saved.My county stimulus mostly went to public transportation and then there were some other things it went to that made me go WTF!!@@? and in the entire county it had ONE job saved/created.I started checking sorrounding areas and it was the same type of bs.

6
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• It seems like everything comes as a "surprise" to this administration--because they're all amateurs!!! LOL

Besides, there is this really long-standing department called the Bureau of Labor Statistics. They only report on LABOR STATISTICS--if THEY can't prove whether a job has been "created or saved" then it CAN'T be proven, and thus all of these reports by the Obama Administration simply fall under the "just another talking point for the media to run with!"

Besides, just LAST WEEK, there was a claim that unemployment rates had DROPPED MORE THAN EXPECTED! So what is it...are the numbers rising or lowering?! LOL

LINK

4

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2010