Why am I always hungry?

I have struggled with weight forever and now that I am an adult I am heavy. I am literally always hungry. Where one bowl of cereal does it for most I need 3 or 4. Then I am hungry again within minutes! This hunger continues all day. I have tried protein shakes and everything but my hunger is constant. What the heck is wrong with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Health

• Don't know if this is what is happening for you, but if you eat a lot of sugary foods, it will actually make you want MORE food. That's why people who eat a lot of sugary foods tend to eat more overall. If you can, start eating an egg with a couple slices whole grain wheat toast for breakfast with a glass of water or black coffee (or if you MUST have juice make it grapefruit juice or cranberry juice), a big salad at lunch (like 2 or 3 cups of greens with 3-4 ounces of grilled chicken, and a cup or more of any other fresh veggies you like for salads. Top it with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar or a few squeezes of lemon juice NOT dressing), and then 3 ounces of lean protein, a good carb (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat roll), and 2 servings of steamed or stirfried (with oil spray not oil) vegetables. For snacks, eat a small handful of nuts, a piece of fresh fruit, a cup of raw veggies with a few tablespoons hummus, etc
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• more than likely your hunger is nutritional hunger. thre is probably some vitamin or nutrient your body lacks and craves. creating a sensation of hunger all the time because you are not taking care of what is missing.the only other thing I can think of is have you had your blood sugar levels checked to make sure you are not diabetic?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Could be a hypothalamus problem. ask your doctor

Answer by admckenzie at 4:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• op-I've had a full blood work up because I was on diet pills then eventually had the lap band surgery. I currently have the band and eating like a pig. I see my doc next friday and I'll discuss this with him further.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like you could be eating the wrong things. You could also have a medical problem (thyroid, diabetes, hypoglycemia, etc.)

Cereal, for example, is all carbs (bad carbs) and sugar. You need protein. My family doesn't eat any cereal other than oatmeal. But that oatmeal is paired with scrambled eggs, whole wheat (good carb) toast and fruit.

Thirst is also frequently mistaken for hunger. You need to be drinking water. Not juice. Not soda. WATER.
    Anonymous

• diabetes!

youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 8:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2010