What do I do? Please help!

I'm a first time mom so I have no idea what to do. My 6 month old son got a cough 2 nights ago. It got worse yesterday and last night so I took him to the doctor this morning. She checked oxygen levels and temperature and listened to his lungs...and said everything sounds beautiful...that he's just got a virus and I just need to let it run its course. He has had a low grade fever...99.5 all night and this morning until now...its 101.5. I just gave him some tylenol about 2 1/2 hours ago so I don't know why his temp his higher than it was. I gave him another dose. Other than that what do I do? I'm scared ad worried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't freak out yet. There could be a couple of reason your baby's fever has gone up. Fevers in general will spike as the day goes on or he is getting sicker. First, that fever is not dangerous. Not until it hits 104 should you be worried. You could just call the Dr and ask if it would make you feel better. My pedi always told me to alternate baby tylenol and baby motrin. The motrin seemed to work better on fevers for us. If you can afford it get some and try it. You can also put him in a tepid (not cold) bath to lower any fever. I assume you have heat so you can also let him hang out in a diaper or diaper and thin top. Don't bundle him up because it is winter. I know being a first time mom it is hard but don't worry to much unless that fever goes to 104 or if baby seems to have a hard time breathing. I hope you have a good pedi that doesn't mind questions because they should be used to new moms calling for advise
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• It's okay, you're doing everything you should. Make sure he gets good sleep. As long as the fever doesn't get above 104, you have nothing to worry about. It will run its course and go away.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 4:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• First off you should only be giving the Tylenol every 4 hours as needed. It could just be that his body is really starting to fight off the virus, that's how our body's fight things off is by raising the body temperature. I would how ever suggest that you call the doctors and let them know that his temp rose and see what they want to do. Other than that it's just keeping him comfortable. But please call the doctor!
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Getting sick is normal for little ones cause they are now exposed. The one thing that I would like to tell you is to not give him too much meds. Not because of overdose or anything like that, but because of his immune system. Right now is the time that his body is kind of seeing what it's got! With both of my boys I used as little meds as I could and they are rarely sick now! Their immune system is so strong that their body fights things off naturally! As far as the fever, like itsmesteph11 said, alternate the tylenol and motrin to keep it down and this does work!! Don't get scared though, he will be just fine!
    cgonzales542

Answer by cgonzales542 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Their temputure usually does go up when they sleep. You can try giving a cool bath and if the Tylenol hasn't kicked in after 3 hours, give him Ibuprofen.
    PakLeader

Answer by PakLeader at 9:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Have you tried a humidifier in the room? We have one and use it whenever our baby gets a cough, it just makes it easier to breath. Our baby has been able to sleep much better ever since we started using it!
    Anonymous