Shingles

Does anyone know how long I will have to endure the discomfort, itchiness and pain of this condition? I realized I had it yesterday and can't get in to see the doctor til next Tuesday! I'm taking advil but wondering how long this rash will last. It really is annoying. It is on my shoulder and is affecting the muscle underneath as well and it feels hot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Health

• If you aren't allergic to aspirin, there's a home remedy that has worked for several people in my family. You crush two aspirins and mix it with 2 Tablespoons of nail polish remover that contains acetone. Dab this solution on your shingles with a cotton ball. Be sure to seal it up tightly so that it will not evaporate. The only thing you need be careful of is not putting in folds of the skin where it doesn't dry quickly and could potentially burn your skin. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, but we've had good success with it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My DS suffers with this, go get a cold sore remedy and rub it on the affected areas until you can get into the doc,,,,Will they not call you in a script for Acyclovir? It would help immensly! Good luck, I know how painful this is!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• PS--take tylenol as well plus perhaps bathe in Aveeno!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• oh it could be awhile. My mom had it for weeks as did my fil.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 3 hours is safe, and for some odd reason has miraculous pain killing abilities without making you stoned.
    PakLeader

Answer by PakLeader at 9:31 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Update from OP - Only thing that helps is advil - haven't tried the crushed asparin salve or alternating Tylenol and advil. It seemed to peak on Saturday night. I couldn't sleep and got up to take advil again. Today, I see little whiteheads forming on each bump. Hoping that signals the turning point and that it is coming to the surface to finish this thing out. It alternates with itching, burning, pinpricks and ice. Also aching in the muscles underneath. Sometimes it feels like it is hardly there - other times it is raging. What an annoying drag this has been! I will finally be able to see my doctor tomorrow (no appointment available til then). Thank you all for your help!
    Anonymous