Jaundice..

My baby is a week old now and still has a touch of jaundice, the doctors say it's okay and that it will go away... When exactly will it go away? I'm kinda paranoid about it and was just wondering how long it would take.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say in about a week.
    Anonymous

• I'm a friggin expert on this. lol
    Both my daughters were Jaundiced. The first we brought home and she was yellowish but the whites of her eyes were gray and looked like fish eyes. It freaked me out so I took her in after she was 3 days old. She ended up having to stay 3 days under the blue lights in an incubator. My second I caught right away 'cause I knew what to look for, they kept her in the hospital under blue lights after she was born for 4 days, I just stayed with her.
    After that they were tan olive skinned for the first 6 or 8 months and now have no side effects whatsoever so although it can be scary, it's OK!
    Watch baby closely and watch the color of the whites of the eyes. If you see any difference at all take him/her back in. Sometimes Dr's give advice or orders we moms aren't happy with. If you feel that strongly, take him/her back in and explain how you feel and ask if you can use the blue light blanket Continued..
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 4:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• You can take it home and just sit with them with the blanket/pad on their back. It doesn't hurt even if they aren't jaundice enough to need it. At least you'll feel like you're doing something to help!
    Good luck!!
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 4:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Well SOME of the white of his eyes are yellow but it is just the corners the rest is white and his nose used to be super yellow but I think it faded a little bit, Not sure.
    Anonymous

• Nurse nurse nurse if breastfeeding, and ordinary sunlight for about fifteen minutes a day. It will go away in about a week.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Make sure she is eating healthy and peeing/pooping regularly. Take her thaout into the sun, or sit in the window that has sun streaming in. It shouldn't been more then a week before it goes away.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• If you are nursing then nurse whenever and for however long the child wants. Put her in the sun as much as possible. Both my kids had it and by 3 weeks it was completely gone. As long as her bili level is not too high that she needs a bili blanket then it really isn't that bad and just nursing and sun will do the trick. It can tend to make them sleepy and our doc recommended waking them up if they didn't wake up and want to nurse on their own at least every 4 hours. With my oldest I had to to that, but my youngest was a big eater any way.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Up to a week. My son was slightly jaundiced when he was born and we let him lay inside in the sunlight. It worked wonders.
    Anonymous

• Well it stays kinda cold in the house.. will it work even if he isn't just in his diaper?
    Anonymous