Vegetarians; why don't you eat meat?

Is it because of your respect for animals, because you don't like meat, or because of your dietary needs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• For my daugther it is because she have never liked the taste of meat.
    Anonymous

• I have many friends who are vegetarians... and I think it is great. (I love my meat, but for them it is great) However, years and years and years ago when I was in my early 20s there was this gal named Star (I have no idea if that was her given name or her slut name) who was a local sleep around. She would end up a differnt men's homes. And we always knew whoes home because she wore glitter EVERY day and that man (boy) would have glitter on him. ANYHOW she was a vegetarrian because in her space cadet way she would say "its bad karma to eat meat'"

The funny thing was..... her signature look was the glitter and knee high LEATHER boots. hummmm.... wonder if the animals offered up thier skin willingly.
    Anonymous

• Cuz it's yucky :p I haven't liked meat since I was a toddler, my Mom used to leave me sitting at the table telling me I had to finish my meat before I could get down...thank God SHE isn't in charge of my life anymore! Lol..I eat it now sometimes but always feel like crap when I do, ie: heavy, lethargic, I can't prepare meat for myself, just too gross, flesh...eww...there are better sources of protien imo...it makes me sick to see how the animals are treated that end up on the supermarkets shelves as well, I don't want to contribute to that. They are caged on top of each other with no lives, never get to run around and be a normal animal, it's disgusting and inhumane.
    Anonymous

• LOL @ anon :46.......... I have to agree. If you are not going to eat meat because you feel it is crewl or dont like how they prepair it....... then you better not own any leather furniture, shoes, purses, belts, etc.
    Anonymous

• Because I've always felt like I just shouldn't eat meat.

I am from a meat eating family, but I decided to become a vegetarian when I was 5 because I found out meat was dead animals - and I cried and said it was mean.
    I stayed vegetarian until I was 12, when I was pressered into eating meat by friends and I disliked most meat but ate it every now and then until I was 18, when I decided it was up to me what I ate and I sure didn't want to eat meat - and it's been almost 3 years now, and I'm not going to look back - I have always hated the idea of eating dead animals.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I opt out of consuming meat, not because it is cruel, but because it is unnecessary, and affects our overall health.

For me, my family, my lovely, our health- that is why we do not eat meat... Several of my friends & fam are finally beginning to notice the trend of health and vitality in my children. When everyone else is sick, they are not. When their childrens stamina wains on the playground, my babies are still running. So they have begun to ask- "What are you doing differently?". My answer was to open them up to the basic ideas of healthful eating... Green Without Much Means

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I was a vegetarian for 2 years, originally because of a bet with my friends and then I watched a video about the way they slaughter animals and that kept me going. I started eating meat again when I got pregnant with my first because that is what my doctor advised.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 5:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• All of the above-I never really liked to eat meat. I feel 1000% better when it is not in my diet. The biggest part to me is respect for animals. I do not believe an animal should die so I can eat & I do not like the violence involved. We have too many other choices in our world to need to eat animals (IMO).
    Wiggles_GA

Answer by Wiggles_GA at 6:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have never been a big meat eater, but I use to eat chicken, and it always made me sick, plus a lot of acid indigestion. I became a vegetarian to feel better, read up on it and found out how long your body takes digesting meat, and the effort it has to go through. Sometimes it takes days and it sits in your tummy for days and sometimes rots in there, nice ha?

Answer by older at 6:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Its not really about the animals for me. If I was trapped on an island, I'd have no problem killing an animal to eat. For me its about my health. I do eat fish and if someone prepared me food I'll eat it, but I try to limit the red meat as much as I can.

Anonymous