Has your kid been sent home sick?

My son was sent home for the second time this year for an ear ache.

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 5:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• mine last year was this phantom fevers that mysteriously disappeared when he got home.Sometimes they overreact.This year he hasn't so far(knock on wood)
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• my daughter was sent home once last yr cause she threw up in lass she was fine when she went to school and she was fine when she got home
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 5:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My son has been sent home twice this year because he felt dizzy. They were both related to the same illness. He was sent home the day before Halloween because he suddenly spiked a fever and felt really dizzy. He ended up having the flu. He went back to school on Tuesday but was sent home because he was feeling dizzy again and his head hurt really bad (he gets migraines).
    Last year he had a couple dizzy spells, too. He doesn't fake sick so I know when they call for him he is really sick.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Not this year (so far). Last year they called me for every little thing though. One time it was because when she blew her nose there was a tinge of blood in it, not a nose bleed, just a slight bit of color. One time they called me down to the school because she got a boo boo at PE. I got there, gave her a hug and sent her back to class myself.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• They've been sent home for vomitting or fever. Anything else, besides suspected strep throat or repeat visits in one day, and the nurses let them hang out in the office for a few minutes then send them back to class.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• once. My son was throwing up. Happened a few weeks ago and he is in 1st grade. My kids rarely miss school but all got the lovely stomach virus!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My son figured out they would call us and send him home if he wasn't feeling well so he got himself sent to the health office at least once a week last year. They really didn't want him there and they don't get their fed funding docked if the nurse sends them home like they would if the day is counted as an absence so they would let him. Yet another reason I home school this year.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:39 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• yes my son has been sent home from school too. because he wasn't feeling well; And when he got home he was fine. I don't understand how the teacher just saids to the children look you dont' seem like you have a fever. why don't you just lay down here for ten minutes and see how you feel then. if the child saids later that he or she feels okay, then the nurse can send the child back to class. But if the nurse does see the child getting sick herself, then yes I would call the parents to come get their child, because if he or she is getting sick there's no way the child can concentrate in class anyway.;) It got to a point where I just told the school to tell the school nurse that unless my son looks like he;s on his death bed not to call me to come get him , lol. because he doesn't need to miss class and fall behind.(true story)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• my ds was sent home a bunch of times this year -- I think only 1 was real sickness. Once b/c he has a little dry cough -- took to dr. -- alergy. I know I picked him up 2x's, my bro 1 and the last time my mom. In the last one they said they suspected pink eye-- mind you byt the time my mom got there there was nothing in his eye but they insisted-- she took him straight to the dr. -- there ws nothing the dr. send a paper saying he has allergies.... no more calls since.
    He gets bloody noses and I warned them so I would have a fit if they called me for that.
    I don't care if they call me if he really seems down or sick... but for a dry cough etc. no way.
    My dd was sent home 1x so far for fever.
    I think the H1N1 really freaked schools out and they started going overboard for a while but are now calming back down to normal.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2010