Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how much did it cost you for your dh to adopt your children, giving them his name also?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Adoption

Answers (6)
  • My boyfriend and I haven't gotten this far yet, but in an effort to help you out a bit, I went to my county clerk of court's website and researched the costs. For us, it would be $400 to file a petition for termination of parental rights (my ex's rights would have to be terminated first), adoption and name change. The only thing I do NOT know from that is if that is good for both kids or if it would be $400 per kid. I'm thinking it should be for both, as they could both be put on the same petition, or at least that's how it's always been in the past. I would check with your local courthouse or a local lawyer, as the fees and charges could be different depending on where you live. I live in Central FL. Hope that helps you out a bit.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 6:05 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

  • My BIL adopted his step-son - for them to go through a lawyer would have cost them $4k-5k. They found the forms online, filled them out, did what had to be done, appeared before a judge, and it cost them around $500. This was about 4-5 years ago. My brother is in the process of adopting his step-daughter right now - they started with one lawyer who was screwing them over (paperwork-wise) and had coughed up $2500 so far. Not sure what they're doing right now, but they're still working on it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

  • When my hubby adopted my son it cost about 2500 (5 years ago). When I adopted my SS it cost 2000 (1 year ago).

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:38 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • Our adoptions were in GA

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:39 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • I'm in Michigan. It cost us $120 for step-parent adoption. You don't need a lawyer to do it. Call your county family court & they can tell you how much & send you the forms.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

  • Around $1,500 that was 4 years ago in Pa other states may vary

    Answer by ramajil at 8:44 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Adoption
Can we?

Next question overall (Hobbies & Crafts)
How to get published?