If I took my son to the ER..

and demanded they test him for acid reflux would they do it? Or should I wait and go to the doctor? He has been screaming for hours, and I've tried EVERYTHING. (This has been going on for 3 months, but seems much worse today)

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 7:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call your doctor. Tell the doctor on call what is going on. S/he will help you determine what you should do. I know it is horrible to have a baby in pain from reflux - I had 2 severe refluxers. All babies have some form of reflux, the upper GI might tell a doc more, but often they just confirm that baby spits. Cutting dairy is often the biggest help their is - from both of your diets if you bf, and switching to soy if you ff.

Ask if you can give a small amount of maalox w/out aluminum to help ease the symptoms. I would ask for prevacid solutabs (they dissolve in water and by 3 months you can crush the dose and just put in on baby's tongue and it dissolves.) Zantac does not a lot of anything, is extremely weight sensitive and pediatrician tend to under dose it. Demand a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist if you feel that the doc is not listening to you.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Yes they would have to do what you asked, but ER doctors tend to be assholes about stuff like that an urgent care center would likely be better, or even the local health department. Yes you do need to make them check babies don't have 'colic' after 3 months, it is usually only the first 8 weeks that they have true 'colic' after that it is something else. Call every doctor in the phone book, peds, and family practice until you get somebody who will do it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• how do they test for that??
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• no, they would tell you to take him to the doctor. The EMERGENCY ROOM is for emergencies. Having a test run for acid reflux is not an emergency. If it is not an emergency, they can turn you away
    Anonymous

• No, they would tell you to see a GI doctor and have them run the tests. Have you tried cutting out dairy from your diet, or using non cow's milk formula? Milk allergies is a leading cause of reflux, and doesn't always have visible symptoms.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Doubt it, the ER is for an emergency and acid reflux is NOT an emergency.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• my daughter had reflux and we had taken her to the ER because she would projectile (sp) puke and i would shoot across the room. when we took her in they didnt do an actual ''test'' on her, they said from thr symptoms that is probably what it was but they didnt do any tests to prove it, i had to wait and see her pedi and he order a upper GI that showed her relux. good luck honey i know how hard it is to have a baby that is like that, i have a few others tricks that i learned with my daughter, if you wants to know some other ''tricks'' then feel free to pm me...
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 8:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• well, acid reflux CAN be an emergancy. My DD was preemie and before she was diagnosed and put on meds for it she would reflux and choke! I called 911 one time because I thought she was having a seizure! Screaming for 3 hrs is NOT okay. Is he crying or full out blood curdling screaming?
    Anonymous