Do you and your husband both come from divorced homes or from parents who are still married?

My dh's parents have been married 45 yrs and my parents divorced when I was just 3. My mom never remarried and raised me and my siblings singlehandedly. I notice my dh and I argue alot and I wonder if it's our differences from the way we were raised?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Relationships

• both from a divorce home
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My hubby's Mom passed away in 95" and then his Dad remarried in 2003. My parents separated 5 yrs ago. but never had a good marriage since I can remember.

Anonymous

• My Husbands parents were never married and I don't even think they were together when he was born. My parents were married until I was 13. Our families are very different except in a few areas. I like it that way, we both have different points of views in a lot of areas and have opened each other up to new experiences because of our differences.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Both of us are from parents who divorced. It's not been easy but our being from divorced families has helped our marriage. It keeps us working to make our marriage grow and be strong. I think we're doing a great job so far, we'll be married 12 years come July.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My husband's parents split when he was 8, my parents stayed married (but miserable) until my dad died when I was 15. My mom still hasn't remarried 7 years later.

My marriage is happy, though. We have ups and downs just like everyone else, but we have never been close to splitting.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My parents divorced when I was 1.My husband's parents never married(silly teenagers and their unplanned pregnancies!)
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My parents still happy married after 45 years - still in love holding hands, I grew up in the Leave it to Beaver House.
    DH parents divorced after lots of violence, Mom remarried a man who didn't hit her, he just hit the kids instead, and his Dad is about to marry for the 5th time ( !!!! ) His home life was so dysfunctional. We were at opposite ends as far as our parenting went for many years, and we have had to negotiate alot. He has a lot of trouble showing any emotion, I let it all hang out, He will clam up on any argument, I just say what I think and then move on.
    Tricky but we seem to be making it work after 17yrs
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• We both come from homes where our parents divorced when we were young. My mom is on her third marriage, and has been remarried for 14 years. Watching this marriage is what helps me realize that what we is supposed to be this way. We both have different view points on how to raise our DD but we are making it work. We aren't married but have been together for more than 7 years. We make it work no matter how tough the issue is.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Both divorced. His dad remarried within a year or so, and they are still together. His mom just remarried 3 years ago.

My dad left my mom for another woman. They were married for 18 years and divorced 2 years ago. (My parents were married for 18 years as well.) My mom never remarried.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 8:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• my parents have been married 30+ yrs. and DH was adopted by his grandparents when his mom had him young. he was then raised as an "only child" 'cause his aunts/sisters had grown up and moved out. and i think it plays a big role in out parenting styles and well as our views of marriage. i grew up w/both parents who were mid-20's when they had me, fairly strict, Christian home. and he was raised by people 50 yrs older than him with much looser rules and different values. it's interesting. =)
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 8:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2010