Did anyone's baby have a problem when they started drinking whole milk?

My son just turned a year old a few weeks ago and I am still breastfeeding him. The doctor said to go ahead and give him whole milk when he turned 1. He's been drinking it everyday for a couple of weeks, but just yesterday he has been throwing up. It really seems more like spit up since there is no retching and it just comes up real fast all at once.
He doesn't have a fever or any since of a bug. the doctor said it could be the milk but give it a few more days. I thought if it was the milk this would of happened immediately. Anybody have any clue??

crystal1480

Asked by crystal1480 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I slowly introduced it to them. I'd put an oz of whole milk instead of an oz of breastmilk & up it an oz a week at a time. Takes a long time, but worked great for both of them!
    briandaddie

Answer by briandaddie at 8:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My LO actually had issues in the other dept. She was severley constipated because of the protein in the milk. Not all things happen right away. I would give it a few more days. Continue to feed him normally and give him the milk as long as his tummy doesn't seem to hurt him. I hope he adjusts, but moving my LO to 2 percent milk worked well for us and then we moved back to the whole milk when she finally adjusted.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Cow  milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn't digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies.  Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My doctor told us to slowly introduce the milk to her so it wouldn't upset her stomach. We had to mix formula with milk for about a week or two and then we went to all milk.
    lhunt8

Answer by lhunt8 at 9:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• my daughter couldn't handle the whole milk it was to thick. if you look at the breast milk it is more watery change to 1% and than try that for a little while than try to go to 2% and than go back to whole Milk. 2% is still healthy. That is what my daughter drinks she can't drink the whole milk. she is 2 in a half
    cvwright21

Answer by cvwright21 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• My son has issues, he stopped sleeping, his tummy would grumble like mad and he broke out in ezcema. he's 2-1/2 almost and still can't have cheese or whole milk.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I would cut out the whole milk again for a little while and just breastfeed. Breastmilk is easy to digest. If he continues to vomit, then I would suspect that he has a tummy bug. If the comiting stops I would think he might not be able to tolerate the milk. I would start again in a week with just a couple of oz in a day and work up slowly and see how he does. If he startsvomiting again or acts like his tummy hurts I would talk to his pediatrician about starting something else... maybe a lactose free milk or soy.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2010