cast iron on a glass top stove

Firstly, I am HIGHLY annoyed right now, but I'd like to know, so you tell me. Can you use an enameled cast iron "dutch oven" on a glass stove top? I have used my dutch oven on my MILs stovetop several times no problem. She comes home early and says I can't use the cast iron on the glasstop because if it gets too hot it will break. I can see the logic, but I'm making soup, it's at a simmer on low. But I had to pour my whole pot of soup into one of her crappy wobbly pots to make her happy since it's her stove. But does it really matter? I'm annoyed with her, and I'm annoyed with a stupid stove that I can't use certain pots on. There's a question in there somewhere.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I use my large cast iron skillet all the time on my glass top stove. I didn't know you weren't supposed to,lol... Been doing it for the past 2 yrs since we bought the stove....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I use my dutch oven on my stove. it'll scratch if you try sliding it around or something and you just have to not like slam it down. I have not had any problems with it and I even boil water in it for mashed potatoes and stuff.
    Anonymous

• I googled and found basically what y'all said. Don't drag it(which I don't) and don't slam it down(which I don't do that either...duh). The only thing I found related to heat is the burner will turn it self off, but it does that to me with all the pots. I'm just annoyed, because is SHE going to clean the extra pot? I don't think so. Did SHE have to pour a whole batch of hot soup stock into another pot? Of course not. And is she even right? Of course not! I probably shouldn't be so annoyed, but my son broke his leg and has bad skin breakdown, and I had to change his dressing 3 times today, on top of TONS of housework that I needed ot catch up on because we were at the dr or hospital most of the week, and I'm just tired and annoyed.
    Anonymous

• I use my cast iron skillet on my glass top, but I won't put my dutch oven on it, I use that in the oven or over a fire.
    Anonymous

• The pot can't get any hotter than the stove can make it get. The pot doesn't magically generate heat. The stove can't get so hot that it bursts unless the stove is malfunctioning. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Like the PPs said, it's scratching the surface OR dropping the huge pot and cracking the stove.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2010