What are some good iron rich foods I can make for my baby?

I just started my son on solids a week ago. He will be 6 months in a week, but since I had school vacation, I figured I would take advantage.

He had his 6 month checkup this week also, and the doctor said I need to give him cereal to make sure he's getting enough iron. I would prefer to give him foods naturally rich in iron instead of cereal.

What I'm looking for is suggestions on good iron rich foods to puree for my baby, especially ones he can start on right away (6 months old).

BUBaby

Asked by BUBaby at 9:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only iron rich foods I can think of appropriate for a 6 mo. old (other than grains and iron fortified cereal) would be Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Soy can disrupt estrogen/ hormone balance.

Spinach, kale, and dark greens are good sources of iron and calcium. Molasses is iron rich. You can use just a tiny bit to sweeten fruit purees. Sesame (tahini) has more iron than beef per serving. It is often mixed with chickpeas in hummus.

You can also steam the foods in a cast iron skillet. The iron will leach into the food.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• This website has nutritional break down of different foods and recipes for homemade baby food.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Ground beef. According to the book, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, meat is a good early solid. "Meat is introduced early among solid foods because of its high iron and protein content...Chopped beef, stew meats, or tender pieces of chicken can easliy be cut up into small pieces, or mashed with a fork. Better yet, scrape across a piece of raw meat with a knife. Tough connecting fibers will remain behind while the tender portions can be gently cooked for baby to eat."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Here is a listing of iron rich foods: www.soystache.com/iron

Answer by rkoloms at 9:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2010