How do you get your 7 yr old reading on their reading level

he learns but dont keep it

louise.davis3

Asked by louise.davis3 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• All reading counts- my son only started reading once I bought the Simpsons comics - it's still reading !!!
    Also keep in mind he's only 7, and sometimes it takes a while for the "reading for enjoyment" instead of "reading because I have to " o start, for our son it wasn't til he was 13 and all the non fiction books came into his life. If your son isn't into story books, see if non fiction books about sharks and spiders and snakes, spaceships and armies, vehicle cross sections etc get his attention. Read along side him. We would read with my son trying each word and if he didn't get it first go I would just say it so the text flowed. He has now read all the Halo books, every war autobiography he can get his hands on and can tell you all the mating and feeding habits of every shark in the ocean. We ger caught up in the idea that reading is educational, but if we don't make it fun who would want to do it??
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:57 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• When my son was in the middle of 3rd grade, he was still struggling with reading. I started reading books that he loved with him. He was into Star Wars, so we got the Junior Jedi books, written at his reading level. We started with him reading the 1st sentence of each paragraph, then I would read the rest of the paragraph, then we switched it to I read the 1st sentence, & he read the whole rest of the paragraph. Eventually, he would read the pages to me. We read a lot of Junior Jedi books, & I know way more about Star Wars than I ever wanted to know. We spent hours just struggling through reading. Then 1 day, about 3 months after we started, I was making dinner. My son came into the kitchen with the book we were reading in his hand & said "Mom, can you help me with this word?" I was shocked and asked why he didn't wait for me. He said "Mom, I didn't want to wait for you to see what would happen."
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I was so happy, he was reading because he wanted to. By the end of 6th grade, he was reading at a post college graduate reading level. He's 20 now, and he reads just for the love of reading.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i always do a QnA type deal with my DD in K, one night i will read the book to her, letting her point out all the familiar words, then i will ask about what happened, who was in it, who said what, etc, and then the next night she will read to me and then have to sumarize it without looking at the book. you could also have him listen to you read, then have him draw a pic of what happened in the story.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Make it a habit that you read together everyday.  Make it fun.  Talk about it as "your special time together".  If you read part of a book talk positively how you are excited to find out the ending so that they look forward to it.  Set up an area in a room specific for reading (where it is quiet).   Find books that are of interest to your child.  They will be likely to pay attention to what they are reading if they are interested in the subject.  Here are some books that are broken down by age, gender, award winner etc.  http://www.cjkidz.com/Books.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• He needs to read with you daily buy or check out books at his level that interest him. The more he practices with you the more he will retain and the more fluent he will be. I would speak with the teacher about reading strategies and exercises you can do from home to help with comprehension and fluency.

momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• have her read one of her favorite books for 15 minutes everyday. Then ask her questions on the books. And on week end s 15 minutes 3 times a day, morning in the afternoon 2 0r 3 oclock. and at night sometime after dinner. And you'll see how much better she gets real quick. just keep working with her.;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:58 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

It's great to encourage him to read daily, but if he is struggling this amount on the weekends could backfire and really set in his mind that reading is a chore and hate it even more. Be careful, he is only 7 and his reading skills are so new. Lots of boys are slow in picking up reading but they do get it in the end. It is a developmental thing as much as anything
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 20, 2010