When you want to name your child something 'different' think about this...

I am getting an ear full from my 13 yr old son tonight. (this is not the first time with this issue) He HATES his name. He has hated his name for years.

We call him Tommy. His given name is Salvatore Thomas. Would you ever in a million years think anything odd of that name? It is a traditional and common name. But when the kids hear Salvatore (at the begining of every school year prior to him telling the teachers his preferance of Tommy) he gets teased.

He is athletic, good looking (I may be a bit biased), and very very smart. He is not shy he has a great sence of humor and is generally liked. But he gets ribbed by the kids. I say this to show that he isnt the typical kids who gets targeted for teasing.

So I beg you moms... before you give your kid some 'differnt' name because you want him to stand out... ask your self what will my child say to me when he/she is 13.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A name is a name, and most kids go through a period when they don't like their name for one reason or another.
    If kids are picking on your son because of his name, hello, that's called bullying, and the school shouldn't be
    putting up with that crap. I would take it up with his teachers. And if they don't put an end to this problem, take
    it to the principal and so on until someone stops this.
    I thought of naming my second daughter October. And I wanted to name my son something like Pheonix...but
    their dad wasn't having it, so they have regular names: Amber and David.
    And unique names are unique. No one should be picked on because of what's on their birth certificate under
    'name'.
    Go to the school and get this taken care of.
    And if it's his friends doing this...maybe he needs some new friends.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 9:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have a different name and I love it. I did go through a nickname period where I tried to find a nickname that fit mostly because people can't say my name when they see it but that ended quickly enough.
    Anonymous

• Kids will be kids unfortunatley..it comes along with teasing.It's thier way of trying to fit in themselves and thinking they are just hilarious. I know that with naming my children, I tried to think of every possible tease another kid could come up with with names I liked,lol. So I stuck to "normal"..well, I think its normal. I named them Joshua and Aubrey. I wanted to name daughter Delaney...but everyone kept saying that she would get called "DUH-laney" in school...so that was the breaker for me,lol. It is important to have a good name that isnt teasable. But kids get more smart mouthed and witty everyday,lol. Kids...what can ya do with em?lol. Hey, tell him that he'll appreciate the name when he's older because women will find it to be an irrisitable name,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:47 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I hated my name when I was young. I've always gone by Josi (like & the Pussycats), but my first and middle is Josilyn Alline (Joss eh linn Al een). I was always the only Josi but I'd get ridiculed by people seeing or hearing my name.. and let me tell you, at 13 the only reason anyone picked on me is because I was outgoing and could handle it. There were a lot of kids with some WEIRDO names and never got picked on because everyone could tell they were self-conscious to begin with.

Now I love that I'll never run into another person with my exact name (well, if I do we're going to be great friends) and I am so thankful I have a name no one else does.
    ohsowonderful

Answer by ohsowonderful at 9:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• ROTFLMBO .... oh dear chavela... do you have teenagers???

If I was that kind of mom... the kind that went running yelling bully every time my teenager bitched about life I would be running and yelling every week. THAT is not bulling. That is a whine teenager who has to buck up. Calling someone by their given name is NOT bullying.

Sorry I sooo disagree with you on that. I am not going to bother hard working teachers with such dribble.
    Anonymous

• And for the record, I think Salvatore is a handsome name. Tell that boy to quit complaining, lol!
    ohsowonderful

Answer by ohsowonderful at 9:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• agreed ohsowonderful... it is a nice name... and oh btw he IS italian.

I did tell him to stop his whining. Im sure when he is 16 and it is a cute little cheerleader calling him Salvatore it will be a WHOLE different story.
    Anonymous

• I had a friend named Delaney, and no one ever did the Duh-laney thing. And Salvatore is a VERY unusual name here. People around where I am would probably give him a hard time. I have never heard the name. I like picking different names. I don't want a super common name. I don't want a name that is easy to shorten/nickname. My daughter's name is Adrianna. It isnt SUPER unusual, but not so common that I hear it a lot around here. Also, people don't nickname it. My cousin has done well at picking different names too. She picked Mia Ryleigh, Brynna Scarlet, and Aiden Maddox. I think they are unique enough that not everyone and their brother has them, but not so wierd that they will get made fun of. There are a lot of "traditional" names that I would be afraid to name my kid. He will get over it. Tell his teacher before school starts that he prefers to be called Tommy to avoid getting embarrassed.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• curious aly where "here" is.
    Anonymous

• sorry hun but IMO that was just a bad name choice, i cringed when i read it outloud.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2010