Is it true that babies that have growth spurts wake up during the night when they are an older baby? Or have a change in feeding habits? Fussy during the day?

My son is 8months old and lately he has been on a weird schedule doing his own thing while I try to keep him on an awesome one since birth for the most part. He goes to bed around 8 or 9 it used to be 8 exactly he now wakes up at 1 or 2 in the morning to play and hang out for a few hours then goes back to sleep to wake up again around 7 to be up changed, play, and eat. Two naps during the day for 2 hours...this is not what I had going! Is this part of a growth spurt because his eating habits have changed as well...how in the world do I get my sleep back also???

mommyofamir

Asked by mommyofamir at 9:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No he's getting older!! He doesn't need as much sleep. It's normal, not a growth spurt. By his age most babies are having a two naps a day and a good night sleep. He can't sleep all day, hes not a newborn anymore, so the schedule you had going when he was a newbie just won't suit him anymore. Welcome to Mommyhood! If you stop trying to make him fit your old schedule and let him have 2 day sleeps he will more likely sleep better at night. At this age, mine were up at about 6.30-7am, back down for a nap around 9.30 for no more than 2 hrs, up for another 2 , down for 2 and then awake til around 7pm for bed. If he's in bed at 7 you should be able to toddle off to bed and get some sleep
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• both of my kids took 2 or 3 naps a day up until they were ab 2....but at 8 months, my son still slept all night. and woke up about 7. my DD woke up routinely every 2 hours to eat until she was about that age so, kids are all different. i would try keeping the lights off when he wakes up and let him roll around in his crib and fall asleep when he wants to. if he cries, feed him change him etc, the lay him back down.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• In part it is growing and also he is getting older. Your schedule is going to change quite a few times over the next 18 years that is how it works with kids lol. Growth spurts happen every few months on average and they will eat more and sleep more, they are fueling their bodies with extra food for growth and sleeping is what helps keep your body repaired rested and working well. You will get your sleep back eventually but honestly after having 3 kids I think 8 months is a bit early to expect that you wont have any night time wake up calls.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2010