Tanning when Pregnant

I am currently 6 weeks pregnant. I have been treating my acne with moderate tanning, and would like to continue. A lot of people have told me that tanning is okay, as long as you don't go in the full time. The only thing that is harmful about tanning when pregnant is raising your temperature. So if i only go in for a small amount of time i think i should be okay? I work at Hollywood Tans, so i know that UVB rays only penetrate the first two levels of the skin, they don't come closeee to the baby. Anyone tan during pregnancy?

jennishallis

Asked by jennishallis at 9:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i wouldnt do it...but hey its ur body and ur baby
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I'm pretty sure most tanning places won't even let you tan if you are pregnant. Obviously if you work at one then you probably could bypass that.

I wouldn't do it, but like the PP said, it's not me, it's you!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 10:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I went while I was preg. I only did stand up tanning for 5 minutes 2-3 times a week... as my preg progressed I went less and less. My midwife said it was okay. Stand up bed because it is very uncomfortable to lay on your back as you get more preg- and I like those beds better than the traditional ones:) Congratulations!
    Anonymous

• Pregnancy tends to change some women's skin and sensitivity. You could also end up with pregnancy "mask" if you don't use sunscreen on your face (and if that is where the acne is then what's the point?). I would definitely mention it to your doc and see what they say. I wouldn't tan while pregnant but I took a lot of care to stay covered in sunscreen simply because I burned faster and didn't want the mask on my face either.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Raising the temo of the amniotic fluid is a risk of tannning and that's a BAD idea in the first trimester. That's also why women are told not to take baths over 102.2 degrees while pregnant, especially in the first trimester.

The first trimester is the MOST IMPORTANT time for developement. That's when all the organs get their basic form (all will have their basic form by 8 weeks) and when many other important things happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Feb. 20, 2010