mopping

Why do I always end up with a streaky floor and how can I prevent it?

mommy06and09

Asked by mommy06and09 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• What are you using? I have a swiffer, and it makes my floors sticky, but if i mop using orange glow or a soap I mix in a bucket, its not sticky.
    (I have wood floors)
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 10:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I read sticky! lol But the swiffer also makes mine streak too. oops
    AliciaO

Answer by AliciaO at 10:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• what kind of floors do you have?
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 10:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• i use the vileda flat mop..it works awesome! and i just let my sink fill up (well..like a 1/4 of the way)with hot water and add ohhh about 1/4 -1/2 cup of pinesol...and then in the other side of the sink i fill up with water, and i rinse the mop off with water then i put it in the pinesol...then mop...then rinse..then pinesol..then mop...then rinse....lol..over and over again! works awesome!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• I have the snap together wood floor. I just bought a mop that looks kind of like a sponge on a stick but it has something to ring it out attatched too. I need to get a bucket though and dh likes to used pinsol. Hhhmmmm do you think drying it might help? I've thought about taking a towel to it after I'm done mopping. I've only just started mopping because I have a 6 month old who's into everything and I want the germs gone so once every two or three days I plan to mop. Thanks ladies!
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 11:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Steam mop... :o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I use a mix of vinegar and water (80% vinegar, 20% water and a bit of lemon juice) on my floors and never have streaking, even if I let it air dry. Vinegar kills just as much as bleach but is much healthier for a child to crawl around on (no nasty chemicals). If I have a sticky spot, I moisten the spot for a few minutes and with a bit of scrubbing it comes right up. If I'm tight on time for drying I'll use a towel to dry it. The vinegar smell usually fades within a half hour. HTH!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I actually do what epoh does and about once a month I borrow my Dad's floor steamer and give every floor in the place a good steam cleaning.
    Anonymous