Update on what to do when your daughter is the mean girl

Quite a few of you gave great advice for my friend. I just wanted to address the feeling that she is learning this behavior at home. Nothing could be further from the truth. Here is the update:

I gave my friend your tips and the tips that I got from another message board. She has talked to her DD and has had the counselor talk to her also. They are looking for an appropriate place for her to put in some service hours. In the mean time, the mom told her DD that since she doesn't seem to understand how hurtful and mean she is being, she had to write a short story putting herself (by name) in as the person being made fun of. She had to write about what she had done to other girls. Mom had editing rights. Then she had to read it in front of the family and turned it in to the teacher and counselor. They are going to meet with the parents and child to discuss it.

indymom22

Asked by indymom22 at 10:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• con't:
    Mom saw that her DD really started to see what she was doing, but realizes that she could be being snowed. She is cautiously optimistic. The DD has been told that if the parents get another report about the bullying, she will have to write a letter of apology and read it in front of the ENTIRE class. She looked mortified. Here's hoping that this is the turning point for the child.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Good for mom for being proactive - I didn't see original post but knew and might have been a bully in my past and they need something to stop them early on to prevent that type of behavior. and good mom knows' she's probably being snowed in the begining..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Very good way of handling it. Thankful for moms on here w/ older children so we can ask these kinds of questions when the time comes.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:10 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• good job!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• yay, for the mom..;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2010