How do you keep from losing your temper with your young kids???

I really lost it with my 19 month old tonight. I had been feeling cranky and irritable all day, and by bedtime, I was just DONE with her and everything else. I tried to get her dressed for bed, and she started kicking me and laughing! I started yelling at her to stop, and she thought it was funny and kept laughing. I was THIS CLOSE to smacking her, but I am commited to raising her without corporal punishment, so I hit the bed instead. She just kept laughing and kicking. I gave up, got her dressed as quickly as possible and put her to bed.

How do you keep from losing your cool with your kids? I'm usually able to handle her, but I was just not feeling good today...really tired and such.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• i need the same help, my son will be 4 in nov and i raise my voice at him, he will lol and kick and he thinks its funny to hit and bite, i just show my anger and yell. he will than see hes in trouble but im sick of yelling
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Well, I have yelled which helps relieve me and shows I'm angered and it's not a laughing matter. That said, I don't feel good about doing it on the few occasions that I have done it. Often, I put them in their room and I go into my room and sit for a few minutes.
    Anonymous

• SOOO been there and done that... I don't know either. I think we all just "get threw " these times in hope we learn from them and are proud of ourselves for not giving in to smacking them or hurting them. sounds bad and off the wall for parents of all around "easy" children whio cannot understand this type of frustration but I have been there and can only say, hang in there mommy.. walk away and come on CM
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2010

• Yell for the hubby to take over, then go into the other room until you calm down. I have been there!! And if you are a single mom, stop dressing her, take a deep breath, maybe let it go for a few minutes and go into the other room. then try again in a few minutes.
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• just the other day i resulted in hitting the wall -- a few times ( didnt hurt the wall but I bruised my hand !) ... I have never been like this until lately.... but I do need to figure out how to control it better...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I would say make sure she is not in danger, then go to another room. If she is still difficult I will let her sleep on her clothes for awhile. It is much easier to deal with a very sleepy toddler than a active one lol. Hang on there mom!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• It's good that you walked away...but does she behave like that often?. Was she overly tired? Had she had a good nap that day? Did she eat fast food? Sugary foods? Children's behavior worsens when they are overly tired, or eat the wrong kinds of foods. Some kids can handle it, but most can't.

If she is over stimulated, a warm bath with lavendar helps. A story and her favorite stuffed animal. Bedtime routine is very important for a child to have a good night's sleep. Start the routine young and you won't have as many problems when they get older. My husband always put them to bed at night. He would tuck them in and read a story. That was his time with the kids. I kissed them before they went to their rooms. Also, they weren't as likely to act up for dad, he was more of an unknown.

Sounds like you are really tired. Take a nap when she does. It's okay to do that.
    PSCreates

Answer by PSCreates at 2:30 AM on Feb. 20, 2010