My five year old kid has a behavioural issue. Can you help?

My little kid has a problem with losing. Whenever we are playing and he lose he has this terrible tantrum(crying, kicking, and slamming doors). We (my dh and me) have talk to him about this issue. That it is ok to loose, bc you can not win all the time. Anyway, whenever he has those tantrums, he gets time out. It is not working! He is just getting worse. I would really give him some spanking, but he is getting to old for that. Do you know of any other approach?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think some kids are sensitive to winning or losing. I think if the chance presents, when someone takes second place, show him it's okay, like the olympics are a good place to show him. We all know not everyone can win but show him you still "count" because you tried and trying is just as important. I think he'll outgrow it.
    Anonymous

• Thank you! for your answer. I hope he'll outgrow it quick !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Ours tended to be the same way and would cry every time he lost, mainly because I would not let him win every time, like he was used to from other people. I kept the games handy. I told him the point of the game was to play and just enjoy playing it, and if he started being a bad sport the game would end right then and there. That happened a few times, and resulted in him crying because we didn't finish. He's gradually is getting better at it. At one point he was losing terribly at a game, and he wanted to quit because he was losing. I explained to him how it's not good to quit something, especially because it's not going your way. The game ended up turning around and he won! So I used it to show him how you never know how it's going to turn out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• play lots of board games and allow yourseklf to lose and demonstarte how to lose. Don't let him crow about winning, but show him. I don't mind losing cause we had fun. He will out grow it or will go to school and get knocked off his perch a bit. Don't stress too much it's pretty normal, esp in boys
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:47 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• obviously I'm having some spelling issues tonight LOL
    myheartx4

• of course everyone likes to win. no one likes to loose. but you can tell him that what ever game he plays it doesn't really matter if you win or loose. The important thing is to have lots of fun doing what your doing. Tell him if he wins then thats great, but if he looses then to not get angry insted to say oh well maybe He'll win next time. There will be times when he will win and times when he will not. And tell him that winning and loosing happens to everyone every wins and looses, it juat doesn't happen to him. and no one goes and gets mad like he not. thats just not right. How about saying something when he doesn't win like good game pal . ;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:48 AM on Feb. 20, 2010