Baby's Schedule

Okay, my son is 4 months old and everyone keeps saying that things would be so much easier if I put him on a schedule. The thing is, he's always growins and needing new things - so I don't think it's right to force him to eat and sleep at certain times of the day. My son knows what he needs. He'll tell me when he's hungry, and when he's tired. I know that I will need to get him on a schedule as he gets older, but I don't feel very inclined to rush into that right now. What are yor views on setting strict schedules for infants?

PoMonster

Asked by PoMonster at 12:24 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didnt have to put mine on a schedule..When we brought him home from the hospital he would sleep off an on thru the day and wake up at 3am an stay up til 8am, he did this until he was exactly a month old. Then he started sleeping straight thru the night and he ate eactly every 3-4 hours..He did his own schedule and has been that way ever since. Which its changed a little now bc of the teething, but I wouldnt force it on a kid. They learn things on their own. Now if they had their nights and days mixed up then yes I would try and work things out differently, but everyone parents their children differently. You do what you feel is right in your heart. You cant go wrong and if you do just mark it as lesson learned an move on... :)
    sleepless2009

Answer by sleepless2009 at 12:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• i made a schedule for my dd at 3 months. that was when i had to go back to work, and i wanted to be able to spend time with her (i works nights), and i also wanted her to spend time with hub (he worked days). So i set up a routine so we could all have family time in the evenings before i went to work, when usually she would be sleeping at that time. im glad i did because she has kept her sched and shes now 3!
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I don't think it has to be a strict schedule at all. I put my son on a schedule when he was 3 months old just for my sanity. It's pretty laid back. Something like, he wakes up at 7:30 [this used to be me waking him up now he does it all on his own] we play for a little bit, i feed him some solids, then he takes a nap, wakes up, plays some more, naps around lunch time, then gets solids, then plays more...you know there is no set time for anything till bed time. Bath at 7:00 to relax him then bedtime at 7:30 so i can have my much needed Mommy time. He does better on at least a good bedtime schedule and so do I because then i know that i can have some alone time. He started sleeping better through the night with a good schedule too.
    But you will do what you think is best for you baby, you could do whatever feels right during the day and just have a set time for bath bed and bottle/breastfeeding at night.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I don't agree with a "strict schedule", but a flexible routine works well and benefits both babies and moms. It allows you time during the day to plan your errands/appointments according to when baby won't be sleeping or eating. Most experts agree that all kids thrive on consistency and knowing what to expect when, even babies. Yes, things will change as he gets older and is awake more or needs more/less food but that's where the "flexible" part comes in. If you don't have any sort of schedule and then try to impose one when he gets older, he's much more likely to have a problem settling into whatever schedule you have in mind.

Answer by missanc at 8:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I tried to work a schedule into my childrens lives as early as possible. It helped lower my stress and helped with a lot of other things.
    I wouldn't recommend a strict schedule but try to get him at least a decent eating schedule. That will help later since most people don't eat on demand.
    But it is your baby and you know what is best.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 9:58 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• You have it right - you are doing it the way that's best for baby - especially if you're a sahm! I don't believe in schedules, other than night sleep, til they're older - and all my kids are fine for it! I didn't start with schedules til mine were about a year - and then it was just lunch at noon, bath at 7, bed at 8, or close to it. Now that I have kids in school, we do have a set bedtime, mealtimes, etc, but nothing beyond that. Do what YOU feel is best for YOUR baby - and tell them to shove their strict schedules!
    Anonymous

• Nothing's broken here...don't go fixing it!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• i always thought i needed a schedule for my daughter. but she is on her own schedule. when i was working and she was going to daycare is was the daycare and my parents schedule. but now that i am out of work she is still in daycare but she is more on my schedule. i am trying to get a routine but usually its just naps that are more scheduled and bed time. she is fine. i asked a similar question some months ago and yes someone said if its not broke don;t fix it. i will be only putting her in daycare part time now because of school work but other then that she will be with me more now until i get another job. usually the baby's set their own schedule. teething and growth spurts is when i find the most differances. good luck
    Anonymous