How do I pay off debts on my credit report?

I am trying to raise my score, and would like to pay any collections on my credit report. (Most of which are piddly $30-$100 collections, adding up to around $2000 that I'm in debt. - Yea!) I have no idea where to start, or who to contact to find out where to send a payment. I already have my report.

Asked by Fawn80 at 11:27 AM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Money & Work

• I just completed a course with debt management...the best way to pay off debt is to attack the smaller debts first. Pay a little on ALL your debts, but concentrate on the smaller ones. When you pay off the smaller ones, apply that payment, in addition to your regular payment, to the next smallest debt & so on. It's called the snowball method. It may seem like you're never gonna pay it off, but it works! It took me just over 3 years & some how I managed to pay off almost $10,000!

Answer by charity987 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• There should be phone numbers on the report for the debts. If not, you can try the internet. If you have a lot of extra money to use for paying off debts, I'd start with the largest sum first, then work my way down. If you're tight with cash right now, start small and work your way up. Either way, you're doing a good thing. Just don't give up!

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 26, 2008

• I'd like to also add that when we get our tax refunds we pay off anything outstanding before we spend any money. It's helped tremendously!!!

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 26, 2008