Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

full custody

Hi I'm going for full custody on Monday..
I live in Arizona, I have a job, I go to church, and I love my son.
I want to have full custody of my son because his father has seizures, and I just straight up dont trust him. He has a drug charge pending with intention to sell.
We both live at home with our parents.
He doesnt have a job.
I'm scared when he gets served his mom is going to pay for everything for him to win...
I dont have any help...
I know I'm the better parent and Im not trying to take my son fully away. I just feel I should have him more and make all the choices in what happens in his life.
Would I lose?
How can I win?

Answer Question

Asked by pixiestixz2626 at 12:48 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Your his mother. The court will almost always side with the mother unless you have somehow proved yourself to be an unfit mother. By the sounds of it, he is an unfit father. Not all the money in the world can make seizures and a drug problem go away, especially when there is an infant involved. You will win hands down, the judge will side with's the clearly and obviously the BEST choice. You have nothing to worry about.

    Answer by LogansMama09 at 1:02 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • It's not likely that you will loose him. But you may not get full custody either. They might award you with full legal custody and him getting part time physical custody. Or they might allow you full physical custody but part legal custody (which, IMO is a much bigger problem). Just remember that when you are talking about the child he is NOT YOUR son. You and your ex made him together and you still have to share. either use the child's name OR remember to say "our son". And use phrases like "in our son's (or child's name) best interest ...".
    The best thing you have on your side right now is that you're the mom!

    Answer by outstandingLove at 1:16 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • The courts will NOT award your full custody just because the father has seizures!!!!!!! That is a pathetic excuse!!! That isn't his fault and if you have a problem with that then you should of never made a baby with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • Go to a lawyer for a move-away order pursuant to the laws of your state. Full custody means different things in different statees and as I am retired I am not going out on that limb. This is a great place to come for support and advice, but not legal advice.

    Answer by empatheticnana at 1:56 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • your telling me a guy who has OUR son home alone and has effing seizures is not a problem? HE FREAKING DRIVES!!! it happends frequently and hes not responsible enough to take his medication EXCUSE MY ASS

    Answer by pixiestixz2626 at 2:56 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • You will get custody and he will probably get every other weekeend, every wednesday, 2 weeks out of the year for vacations and every other holiday. There is no reason for him not to get average visitation from what you have said. Also once he starts paying child support the court will probably allow him to claim the baby on taxes every other year.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • pixie you had a child with him knowing he had seizures etc. now that you are split up you dont want to shair "your" child.... sorry FACT is this is not "YOUR" child its BOTH of yours and a child is not a possession.
    Chances are that at the very least you will get joint custody perhaps with physical custody going to you. If you want supervised visits you can ask for them and be prepared to prove in court why they are nec. just saying that he is epelectic is not enough -- if they were to grant only on that satement that would be discriminating -- you have to prove that he has seizures on a frequent basis and that makes him a danger.
    Get a lawyer... and good luck.
    But you come off more spiteful and vindictive than anything else. Its a new world and the fathers are not automatically put on the back burner.... it takes TWO to make a child.... and a child as the RIGHT to TWO parents....
    I know it can be a bitter pill... but

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • ok lets back track. everyone is so hung up on the seizure statement. he has drug charges pending on him? so he has a felony on him? hmmm...well that might be something to really discuss with a lawyer only because the other posters are right. seizures wont get u full custody. but the felony might. get advice from someone who knows. most of the time they will give u a free consultation. but father's do have more rights now a days. really do some research on ur state laws also. get as much information as u can. good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • thank you, I'm not trying to take him away I just think he should have him fri-sun where he at least has his parents home (yes he still lives with mommy and daddy) in case something bad happens. and believe it or not I had no idea he had seizure until a month after I was pregnant. He's embarassed of the fact he has them and never told me.. but after I had to find out for myself they happened a lot...and hes been to the hosptal and someones trying to figure out whats wrong so its not hard to prove that he has it. as for the drug charge. yeah its pending threw he has to go to court for it still. I just want full custody, his dad never gave a damn until him and I broke up. and I just want to be the one who takes him to school and makes the huge choices in his life. I want his dad around..I just want to know my son is safe. thats all.

    Answer by pixiestixz2626 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.