How long should we wait to have another?

We have a beautiful 4 month old and are looking forward to another. In your opinion/experience how long should we wait to have another? I loved my pregnancy, labor and delivery and my recovery was easy. What do you think?

livsmom2199

Asked by livsmom2199 at 1:21 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• It really is up to you. My son is 8 months and I too enjoyed being pregnant but maybe give your current baby a few more months to be with just you. It really is up to you though. I too have been itching to start but my son is doing all these new wonderful things that I want ,my attention all on him right now. I am hoping to start fairly soon within the year
    Fallon_Long

Answer by Fallon_Long at 1:29 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I have heard for your health and for the health of the baby you should wait 18mo between pregnancies. I like my kids 3yrs apart so we start trying when our youngest is 2yrs old. I have 3 kids now, they get along really great, they are 7,4, & 1
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• there are no rules.... repeat after me.... there ARE NO RULES!! do what ever feels right for you, how would we as complete strangers have any idea what will work for your family. If you are up for it, then have another baby whenever you want it. You are the best judgemnet of what is right for you.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:26 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Whenever you and your hubby are ready to try for another, I would wait till your little one is about 6-9 month old and then try , If you want your children close in age then that is a good amount of time to still enjoy all the great thing your LO has in store for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• my kids are 26 months apart -- and sometimes I like that i waited that long ( well actually we tried for a year to get #2 ) .... becasue my daughter is a big help with her little brother ----- but I have a few friends who have them closer together -- one friend has 2 daughters that are 10 months apart ! ..and they are really close and actually I think behave really well together ( dont fight for toys or anything) ...same with my other friends whose kids are 15 months apart ..

but you have to imagine, when you have the baby, how your oldest will be ( I think it would be soo hard to have one just learning to walk and get into everything, and having to feed a baby at the same time lol...) Just whatever works for you !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• For our two daughters, we just let nature take it's course in between. I was breastfeeding, and got my fertility back about 7-8 months along, but didn't get pregnant until about a year. My girls are 20 months apart, and I feel it is perfect for our family. I wasn't charting or anything, so it was a complete surprize! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• If you want another soon, I say go for it! I wish my kids were closer in age. They are 4 yrs apart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• it depends on how you feel. when i had my dd, i was done, didnt want another one, then 12 yrs later dh and i really wanted another one, now after having ds, he's 2 yrs old, now i want another.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Do it when you are both ready! Mine are all very close. They are 4 years and 2 months, 2 years and 10 months, 1 year and 5 months, and the baby is 3 months.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:09 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I agree with when you really think you are ready. Mine are 5 years apart and it was FANTASTIC for us that way (originally we wanted them 3 years apart and that didn't work out) I got 4 years of one on one time with my first. Then he started pre-k and I got to go out on lunch dates with my husband, get back in shape, have a bit time to myself. Our second came when my first was in Kindergarten so I get one on one time with him during the day while big brother is in school and the oldest is super independent and extremely helpful with everything. I couldn't have asked for a better situation. That is just my experience with it though. How far apart kids are doesn't have ANYTHING to do with how well they will get along though, especially when they are older. Good Luck to you in however it works out for you. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2010