How much do you spend on your child's birthday party?

We spend about 500 per party.

My parents gripe that we spend to much even though it's not their money.

Our daughter is 3. Our son will be 1 this summer.

How much do you/will you spend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• we usually spend about 200-300 for decorations and cake...about 50 for a special birthday outfit and about 300 on gifts...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:25 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My sons birthday was yesterday. Between the cake and decorations and presents and his special outing we spent about a total of $700. thats not including souveniers and food for ssaid outing.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 3:02 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I must be cheap. I spend about 200-300 total (although he has only had one birthday party) but even on that tight budget, we were able to do goody bags, a bbq at a park pavillion for about 30 people, games, lots of decorations, homemade three tiered cake and a special outfit. We also bought him some gifts but nothing super spendy since he is too young to understand anyway.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:17 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• First of all, as long as you can afford it, I don't think it should matter. However, we spend maybe $25. I fix a meal and a cake, but the ingredients all come out of our grocery budget. We buy them a small gift and invite all the family over and maybe some friends. I might buy plates and forks, but I don't get anything with a theme. It doesn't matter to the kids - they still have tons of fun!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My daughter's b-day party is actually today. For a party at our local roller skating rink, with 13 kids total it is costing $98.00 which I think is a great deal. I'd say $100 is the average that I spend. Wow - I must be REALLY cheap compared to everyone else! Lol
    Comfycozy77

Answer by Comfycozy77 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I spent 140 on my son's first bday. 100 in gifts and 40 for the cake and decorations. I like to buy him new books for holidays/bday, new books are expensive!!

I figure you spend whatever you are comfortable spending .. it is your money not your parents..

Maybe they are afraid you are spoiling her or you are going beyond your means and will end up needing their help? Just reassure them that she's not spoiled/appreciates hard work (tell them her chores etc.) and that you are not spending beyond your means.

I always say old people are paranoid about money cause they think they're gonna run out of it before they're dead. lol. They rarely do, but they are always worried about it and transfer their worries onto everyone else!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Oops lol this is the first bday. Heck it's her first birthday go all out!! You can spoil them this young, no reassurance necessary, and they never know it!!

The bit about old people still applies. lol

Probably they think she won't appreciate it. So.. you will! And it'll make great pictures!! Tell them they are raining on your parade and being "wet blankets" - they'll know what it means and shush up!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I spend as much as it takes lol
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• my daughter is 16 and her most expensive party so far was about 140.00 or so...We always have them at home and I bake the cake (her request)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Holy crap. The most expensive party we've done yet was $80 for buffet at a pizza place for 8 adults & 6 kids - all family except for 1 kid. Of course it cost me a few bucks to MAKE the cake, which was better than the local bakery makes (and which I've had 4 ordered from other people since then). IMO it's crazy to spend hundreds on something they won't remember (if they're young).
    Anonymous