Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

California Grandparents visitation

I am unmarried to the father of my child (he walked out on me). My daughter is 4 months old. He see's her at my house twice a week. Then once a month I take her over for a while so that his parents/family can see her. They are now demanding more time and said they will sue for grandparents visitation rights if I do not allow it. Can they?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (5)
  • I don't know the laws in your state but you can google grandparents rights in your state and it will give you the info you need to know. Don't get upset if they do have rights and can bring you into court cause the judge is gonna wonder why the father isn't wanting more time. The state I live in grandparents have no rights unless the parents are unable to care for the child. I would look into it just in case they pull something out there sleeve.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • I'm pretty sure that in CA there are no "grandparent rights"

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • here try this website:

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • They can sue you for whatever they want. I don't think they will be able to win though. My inlaws live in CA, and my mil is good friends with a woman who, for long story short, is now in prison (drugs and bad men choices), and her 2 oldest kids are now living with their father (who had walked out on them yrs ago). Even though they (the grandparents) were the most stable adults in the kids' lives, when the mom lost custody, the State gave it to their dad (who decided that all of a sudden, after all these yrs, he wanted to be a dad now).

    They (the grandparents) have no visitation rights other than what the father chooses to give them, and yes, they've seen a lawyer :-( I believe (but I could be wrong), it's because they never legally had custody of the kids at any time.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:07 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

  • Is there a reason you DON'T want them to see your baby? If not, then maybe you can try to arrange another visit. You're not keeping the baby from them, so they can't claim that you are. You're not unfit (as far as I know) so they can't try to TAKE the baby. I think that you'll be fine, and they aren't able to just cry and get more visits. I THINK.

    Answer by Krysta622 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.