Frustrated by over-diagnosis

I am so frustrated at how many people are looking for a diagnosis of a 'disorder' if their kids are anything less brilliant academic geniuses with the manners of a prince. When did it stop being acceptable to be an average student. Its nice to be an A student, but average means right on track for your age - why isn't that acceptable now?? Kid has poor social skills - must be ASD, kid is hard to control must be ADHD. All these labels and excuses mean the kids who genuinely have a problem are lumped with kids who's parents aren't willing to accept their little angels aren't the champions they dreamt of. Can't be their fault, so lets say it's a diafnosis. There is a Mom in the ASD forum saying she can't diagnose online - WTF? she can't diagnose at all unless she's got eight years in that field and a few letters behind her name!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i agree with the ADHD thing,but trust me,social skills are not why moms are seeking answers for autism.There are a million other things that occur before this to make you believe the kid is on the spectrum. I speak from experience.As far as the average kid thing,its unfortunate,but you can't be a normal kid anymore.I guess the term doesn't exist.We all have to have super kids! Sickening.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I def. understand. The scary thing is once they are labeled, Im pretty sure it doesnt come off, and then they have federal protection. There are alot of kids that are spoiled brats and getting coddled by schools and parents, and I dont know when it stopped being okay for kids to make mistakes. Sometimes kids get into trouble, and if they do they automatically dont need to be tested for whats wrong with them. It eventually teaches the kids the rules dont apply to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• If your child has a disorder then it can be medicated. Doctors like writing scripts. Also, some disorders are qualifying disabilities that make the family able to collect a subsidy for medical expenses.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• It pisses me off too. They're putting dangerous drugs in their child's body and the parents don't see anything wrong with it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 20, 2010