How good at math should a nurse be?

can a C or D algebra student become in LPN?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I hope nurses are good at math, especially when administering medicine. The wrong dose can be lethal.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I don't know why this is an issue anyway.They expect you to have all these skills that you don't even use for the profession. I think thios keeps good people out of jobs that need to be filled,especially nurses.I feel your pain,I suck at math!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Yes
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• In college, a D is as good as failing, so no, you have to have at least a C. However, the nursing program only takes the top students, so you're really going to have to buckle down, because although you'll NEVER NEED IT, you have to take at least Math 051. When in life will ANYONE factor a trinomial or do division of a polynomial?? It's stupid unless you want to be a mathematician or a scientist. Nurses only need basic math and proportional math as they don't prescribe meds, just deliver them.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Here is the thing get a tutor. My nephew tutors esp. for this reason. You want to be the best you can be then go ahead and forget about it. lol It is not a huge expenditure --it cost money but you can find a way to pay for it. Just my opinion.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I kind of hope not, because they do basic algebra for their job. However, it probably isn't a deal breaker, and repeating the course could help.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I agree with Whiteroses and Pnukey. Math is pretty important for nursing when it comes to doses. You need to be able to take the weight of the patient and the amount needed per pound and come up with the correct dose for a patient, which, as Whiteroses says, is basic algebra.
    Anonymous